On Sunday Nov. 20, 2011, thousands of cyclists will gather to hold the 2nd Araw ng Siklista. They will trace a path through Metro Manila‘s 16 cities & 1 town. The free public whole-day event fetes cyclists by fellow cyclists from all walks of life – the blue-collar worker bike commuter to the weekend leisure biker, the teener on their first bike to the road veterans now in their 60’s.
This festive convergence of a growing number of Pinoy bikers, is a clear signal from our country(wo)men of their preference for non-pollutive, healthy and cheap sustainable transportation alternatives. Last year’s event was magical. Bikers foregoing a Sunday with their families to pedal the 130 km route – no accident, motorists glady shared the road, pedestrians cheered us on, And while some faltered to finish the day’s course, the stories of personal feats, meeting new friends, a sense of shared community, have not. In this simplest contraption & come-as-you-are event, bikers go home embracing diversity, overcoming adversity, lessons in on-spot leadership & teamwork, free-boost of self-esteem, discipline (on & off-road) and a commitment that others must savor what we have.
Felix ‘Jun’ Salaveria
Contact Persons for the event:
Monchy Garcia – 514-0661 / 0947-306-6068
Roi Sta. Romana -0999-731-2935
- Letters: It’s not ghost bikes that put people off cycling (guardian.co.uk)
- Cyclists must ride ‘sensibly’ – Hoy (autonetinsurance.co.uk)
- Bikers ‘exceeding speed limits’ (autonetinsurance.co.uk)
- Requiem for Jenna Morrison (expatlogue.wordpress.com)
- Can cyclists and motorists learn to share the road? (confused.com)
- Rant & Rave: A special bikers’ edition (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Cyclist Biker Hates Alberto Contador (livingstrongandhappy.blogspot.com)
- Double the links – OCTA bike victim ID’d, bike plan meeting in BH, London cyclists ride in protest (bikinginla.wordpress.com)
- ‘Petrolhead’ biker gets driving ban (autonetinsurance.co.uk)
- Major road rage chutzpah, Jeannie Longo breaks my heart & LA’s anti-harassment ordinance spreads east (bikinginla.wordpress.com)