WHAT IS TAO MUNA-HINDI MINA! CAMPAIGN?
Members of Civil Society, Faith based organizations and Human Rights Defenders working against destructive mining in the country are launching a campaign dubbed “TAO MUNA HINDI MINA!”. It is a campaign to assert that government as duty bearer should uphold human rights and protect the environment, and should conduct its affairs consistent with human rights standards and principles.
The campaign will be highlighted by a 10 point Human Rights Agenda on Mining which will be popularized online and offline in order to generate the broadest possible support and endorsement by different sectors at the national and local levels.
This will also complement our advocacy for the enactment of the Alternative Minerals Management bill and the scrapping of the Philippine Mining Act of 1995 among the candidates and the voting public especially during the election campaign period this April.
We will be holding a nationally coordinated symbolic action on April 23 coined Tao Muna Hindi Mina-Miting de Avance for the 10 point HR Agenda on Mining to make it appropriate in time for the election and the earth day commemoration as well.
We invite everyone to join us in this campaign by affixing your signature for official endorsement of the 10 point HR Agenda on Mining.
The 10 point HR Agenda on Mining will also be used to raise awareness in the mining affected areas as voter’s platform to register the peoples’ aspiration for candidates to reckon with.
10 POINT HUMAN RIGHTS AGENDA ON MINING
Mining has been in the national agenda for more than a decade. The assumption into office of PNoy gave hope for a policy change in mining. Unfortunately, government continues to aggressively promote mining as revenue-generating industry despite continued and widespread protests by mining-affected communities as well as civil society.
The State has the fundamental obligation to respect, protect and fulfill human rights not only for the current generation but for future generations. These trinitarian obligations govern the conduct of the State in relation to its peoples and it is by these that States are weighed and judged for their sins of commission and omission.
As the electoral campaign period provides an opportunity to propagate the peoples issues and concerns on Mining; human rights, environmental, indigenous peoples and women’s’ groups have come together and developed a 10 Point Human Rights Agenda on Mining. It is a platform to unite all anti-mining groups and individuals during the electoral period. It is an agenda to challenge all candidates to take up and respond to the call for an end to large-scale mining.
1. SCRAP Mining Act of 1995! Enact AMMB.
2. Stop large scale mining.
3. Respect protect fulfill IP Rights, to self determination (FPIC).
4. Protect women human rights defenders and IP women in mining areas.
5. Stop exploitation of workers in Mining Sites.
6. Protect our environment and right to safe sound and balance ecology.
7. Stop killings! Protect human rights defenders!
8. Stop displacement of rural folks. Protect the right to food, water, housing and access to means of subsistence.
9. Stop militarization and Deployment of investment defense forces.
10. Justice for all victims of mining related HRVs. Stop development aggression!
Alyansa Tigil Mina (ATM)
Association of Major Religious Superiors in the Philippines (AMRSP)
Human Rights Defenders-Pilipinas (HRDP)
Legal Rights and Natural Resources Center-KSK-FOE
LILAK (Purple Action for Indigenous Women’s Rights)
Philippine Alliance of Human Rights Advocates (PAHRA)
Philippine Human Rights Information Center (PhilRights)
Philippine Misereor Partnership, Inc. (PMPI)
SOS Yamang Bayan Network
Task Force Detainees of the Philippines (TFDP)
WAYS TO JOIN TAO MUNA- HINDI MINA! CAMPAIGN
Help us spread the word -Endorse the campaign online and offline
1. ENDORSE!- Endorse the 10pt Human Rights Agenda on Mining and invite your friends to sign up too. Register your support online and offline.
2. Help us SPREAD THE WORD! – Like and share TAO MUNA-HINDI MINA! Facebook page and all its posts. https://www.facebook.com/TaoMunaHindiMina
3. CONTRIBUTE PHOTO ENDORSEMENT!- Post photograph of yourself or your group holding the TAO MUNA-HINDI MINA slogan in your facebook account. Don’t forget to tag us or submit the photos to TAO MUNA-HINDI MINA! Facebook page. You may download and print the slogan-sign at our FB page or have your own TAO MUNA- HINDI MINA! Poster.
4. Use the campaign hashtags #HRAgendaonMining, #RightsAgenda #RightVote in twitter
5. CHANGE PROFILE PICTURE! on April 22, 2013 Earth Day- Use the TAO MUNA-HINDI MINA logo or your Photo-endorsement as your FB profile picture. https://www.facebook.com/TaoMunaHindiMina
6. Join TAO MUNA-HINDI MINA! Earth Day Miting De Avance that will be happening in different areas simultaneously on April 23 (to be announced). Pls contact us for details.