In the past weeks, the proposed House Resolution 1135 declaring former President Ferdinand Marcos as worthy of a heroic burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (Cemetery for Heroes) resulted in strong public sentiments against the recognition of the Marcos as a hero rather than the dictator and the leading human rights violator during his regime.
The dark era of the Marcos dictatorship ended in a revolution that marked the Philippines as the first country in Asia to regain democracy in a peaceful manner. The memory of the historical people’s struggle to break free from the tyrannical rule is now being sullied by the proposed house resolution.
Marcos’ launch and grasp over power were backed with impunitive measures that caused thousands of human rights violations to individuals and communities that until this day remains grossly unaccounted for.
Years of democratic freedom enjoyed today can never diminish the memory of the inhumanity that prevailed during the Marcos dictatorship. There can never be reconciliation with the atrocities committed during former President Marcos unless there is a recognition that human rights violations occurred, perpetrators are prosecuted for their corresponding liabilities and reparations were made to the Marcos victims.
It is in this light that PAHRA is appealing to you to join us in condemning the attempt to honor former dictator Ferdinand Marcos as a hero and prevent the passage of House Resolution 1135. We have prepared a statement in which you and your organizations can affix your signature. Attached is a copy of the suggested letter including the names of congressional representatives to whom we can send our appeal.
The proposed House Resolution 1135 is authored by Congressman Salvador Escudero and is alarmingly being supported by 190 congressional representatives.
For inquiries and comments, please contact us at (02) 436-2633 or (0927) 4012416.
Thank you and we hope you can join us in this campaign to help the nation remember that Marcos is a human rights violator and NOT a hero.
Max M. de Mesa
- [Statement] House of Representatives, House for Impunity? – PAHRA (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] House Resolution No. 1135 – a shameless attempt to twist history – www.tfdp.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] Honoring Marcos: A Distortion of History – AFAD (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Petition] Marcos is not a hero! Protest the plan to make him one! (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Imelda Sees Hero’s Burial for Marcos (socyberty.com)
- Batac Journal: A Hero’s Burial for Long-Dead President Marcos? It’s Being Considered (nytimes.com)