Our Demand to the Duterte Government
We, the Filipino people, plead for your urgent action in response to the COVID-19 crisis our nation is facing. Here are our demands:
1. START MASS TESTING NOW. Implement free mandatory mass testing nationwide and mobilize the local government units (LGUs) to set-up local testing centers.
2. Distribute free face masks, hand soaps, alcohol, drinking water rations, and vitamins to every barangay. Conduct massive disinfection in high-traffic locations regularly.
3. Secure necessary medical equipment needed by our health workers and hospitals such as face masks, gloves, ventilators, personal protective equipment (PPE), and oxygen tanks. Engage the private hospitals to share their medical equipment, PPE, and facilities.
4. Build temporary quarantine and health centers (convert convention centers, gymnasiums, etc.). Partner with the private sector to provide accommodation services (e.g., lease of hotels). Allow the homeless to stay in evacuation centers located in barangays and municipalities.
5. Allocate all available discretionary funds to aid the Health sector. Approve the rechanneling of intelligence and confidential funds of different government agencies to the Department of Health (DOH) through a special session of Congress.
6. Provide immediate comprehensive medical training for the military, police, and security forces. Maintain civilian leadership by appointing a trained health worker to lead every checkpoint and security team. Mobilize the military and police to bring test kits, face masks, and basic goods to every barangay.
7. Order the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to require the private sector to give additional paid leaves for their workers, both permanent and contractual.
8. Guarantee cash grants for individuals/workers and small businesses. Enact a monetary stimulus package through the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP).
9. Impose a payment freeze and disconnection moratorium for utilities (water, electricity, internet) until the Code Red Sublevel 2 is lifted. Declare rent payments and evictions on hold.
10. Set-up a centralized information source that will broadcast daily briefings of health officials for all important government announcements, statistical data, location information, and history of movement of confirmed patients for transparency and public knowledge.
Join us as we call on the government to decisively end the COVID-19 threat through Mass Testing, early detection, and immediate medication coupled by the provision of various economic relief and assistance.
Share our cause and sign up at bit.ly/masstestingnowph
You may also grab the photo and make it your own DP as well!
All submissions are republished and redistributed in the same way that it was originally published online and sent to us. We may edit submission in a way that does not alter or change the original material.
Human Rights Online Philippines does not hold copyright over these materials. Author/s and original source/s of information are retained including the URL contained within the tagline and byline of the articles, news information, photos, etc.