3RD HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE AWARDS
Theme: Internet Freedom… our rights, our choice, our freedom.
For the third time, Human Rights Online Philippines or HRonlinePH.com will give recognition to human rights defenders’ efforts to promote, assert and defend human rights by maximizing online platforms. This year the event will celebrate the assertion for freedom of expression and opinion online and offline with the theme “Internet Freedom… our rights, our choice, our voice.”
The successful online campaign against the unconstitutional RA10175 or the Anti-Cybercrime Act of 2012 that temporarily stopped its actual implementation and the very recent August 26 #MillionPeopleMarch in Luneta, initiated online by netizens against the PDAF scam revealed the undeniable capacity of the Filipino people to assert its rights and the use of ONLINE MEDIA as a powerful tool. The power of the people that was manifested both online and offline in both instances had proven the world how true that Philippines indeed is the social networking capital of the world. Alongside, it exposes that the recurring and continuing threat of suppression of freedom of expression also holds true, thus the need to be on guard, more vigilant and assertive in defending for these freedoms.
The government has announced its intent to refile the amended version of the Anti-Cybercrime Law come the opening of the 16th Congress while Senator Meriam Defensor had initiated the Magna Carta of Internet Rights which according to her and the supporters of the proposed measure would protect the rights of the people online.
As issues like cyber bullying and many others plagued the cyberworld, and while it is the obligation of the government to come up with measures to stop crimes including those in the internet, we have to remain steadfast in asserting that the freedom of expression and speech in the internet or offline be respected, protected and fulfilled by the Government at all times.
THE 3RD HUMAN RIGHTS PINDUTEROS’ CHOICE AWARDS
To contribute in the promotion of the Human Rights Week celebration every December, HRonlinePH.com holds an annual HR Pinduteros’ Choice Awards that recognizes HRDs online efforts in promoting, defending and asserting human rights.
As an online event, the HR Pinduteros’ Choice Awards aims to give recognition to human rights defenders’ (Individuals and groups) relentless efforts to inform, inspire and mobilize the online readers to our common cause for HR that utilizes the internet as a tool. The event will also provide HR networks glimpses of how widely and effectively does their advocacies and issues reach the readers or segment of the internet world.
Online polling and popularization of the event also hopes to contribute in increasing awareness and build up for the international HR day celebration in December 10 through encouraging the netizens to visit and learn more about human rights issues, campaigns and etc. posted and featured in HRonlinePH.com with links to different HR sites months before the HR day.
Held for the first time last December 1, 2011 during the public launch of HRonlinePH.com initiative in Crystal Shift Restaurant in Quezon City, the event became our way to give thanks to the networks of human rights defenders who continued in contributing to the initial success of the site.
On December 10, 2012, the 2nd HR Pinduteros’ Choice Awards was held during the Active Vista Awards Night of DAKILA held in PETA complex.
Human Rights Pinduteros is a name we coined referring to HR community of internet users, HR advocates and activists and HR issues followers that as a network- promote and defend HR and believe in HRonlinePH.com’s call to inform, inspire and mobilize our readers to our cause.
THE PROPONENT -HUMAN RIGHTS ONLINE PHILIPPINES or HRonlinePH.com
Established in March of 2011 and was officially launched on December 1 of the same year, Human Rights Online Philippines or HRonlinePH.com was initiated by a group of individual human rights defenders working in different HR NGOs.
It started with the intention of creating a site that would help in popularizing Human Rights issues and concerns by mobilizing concerted efforts of individual defenders coming from different HR groups.
HRonlinePH.com aimed at organizing different campaigns through the building of an online HR network that will be working together with the call to inform, inspire and mobilize people to HR causes.
By generating readers and followers online the group aims to contribute in putting human rights online, thus making human rights issues, information and resources available and visible to the internet.
In its 2 year of existence, the HRonlinePH.com blogsite has generated a good number of reads. According to the wordpress.com’s statistics as of September 2013, the site has reached 398,015 hits, 1,618 subscribers and an estimated average of 600 visitors a day.
The site’s busiest day was on October 27, 2012, it was visited by 2,294 readers.
The site has 1,066 followers on facebook and 256 on Twitter. TopBlogs.com.ph consistently ranked HRonlinePH.com among the top 5 political blogs based from its unique visitors measured a day.
HRonlinePH.com was also nominated as “Wiki-Pinoy of the year” in 2011.
We may not be the best blog in the Philippines, but through the concerted efforts of HR pinduteros and pinduteras, we are one of the most promising Human Rights online-community right now!
Nominees were chosen from the top items per category posted in HRonlinePH.com based on the hits generated (site statistics) from the period of September 20, 2012 to September 20, 2013.
Scores for winning posts were based on HRonlinePH.com statistics combined with an online voting/polling results which will be held from the period of October 15, 2013 up to November 15, 2013 at the HRonlinePH.com FB page and Blogsite.
Winners will be awarded during the 2013 Human Rights week celebration (Date and venue to be announced).
RECOGNITIONS/CATEGORIES FOR HRONLINEPH.COM’S 3RD HRPINDUTEROS CHOICE
• HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE FOR HR NETWORK‘S POSTS
• HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE FOR HR PINDUTERO‘S POSTS
• HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE FOR HR BLOGSITE
• HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE FOR HR WEBSITE
• HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE FOR HR EVENT
• HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE FOR HR PHOTO
• HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE FOR HR VIDEOS
• HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE FOR FEATURED OFF THE SHELF/RESOURCES
• HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE MOST CLICKED FEATURED SITE
• HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE FOR HR CAMPAIGN
NOMINEES FOR THE 3RD HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE AWARDS
HR NETWORK‘S POSTS
1. [Press Release] Teachers ask DEPED to expedite the release of bonus -TDC
2. [Statement] Human Rights Watch reaction on PNoy’s SONA 2013
3. [Press Release] DIGITEL Employees Shave Heads in Protest, Motion for Execution Pushed -Kilusan
4. [Press Release] Mining operations in Salcedo, Eastern Samar is “out of control” -PMPI
5. [Statement] Ibasura ang Pork Barrel! Pondo ng Bayan, Direktang Ilaan sa Serbisyo at Kabuhayan -KAMP
6. [Statement] Anti-Enforced Disappearance Law: A Precious Christmas Gift to All Filipino Desaparecidos -AFAD
7. [Statement] CYBER MARTIAL LAW -Dakila
8. [Press Release] Support Snowball for Digitel Employees -DEU
9. [Statement] Stop Cyber-dictatorship! SCRAP the cybercrime prevention act now! -SANLAKAS
10. [Statement] New Compensation Law (RA10368) for victims of human rights violations: right step but not enough to end Marcos impunity –PAHRA
11. [Featured Story] Political Prisoner Longs for Freedom, The Story of Juanito Itaas (Part 1)- TFDP
12. [Press Release] Children advocates to push for “child-centered” elections -Bata Muna
13. [Press Release] Summit on Credible Cebu Elections 2013 to Propose Concrete Actions for Electoral Reforms -Visayas Clergy Discernment
FOR HR PINDUTERO‘S POSTS
1. [Tula] Patula ng Pandaigdigang Pahayag ng Karapatang Pantao ni Greg Bituin
2. [Blog] THE SABAH ISSUE: The Betrayal to the Republic of the Philippines of Mr. Aquino by Jose Mario De Vega
3. [Blog] An Unconstitutional Law: A Discourse on the Cybercrime Law by Jose Mario De Vega
4. [Featured article] Ang Litrato ng Tatay Ko (Isang Pagbabahagi sa Araw ng Mga Nawawala) by Ron De Vera
5. [Statement] Isang Bukas na Liham para sa Lahat ng mga Mamamayang-Pilipino by Mario De Vega
6. [Blog] The most outrageous use of “Doublespeak”: The People’s Daily as the warmonger mouthpiece of China’s so-called ‘Communist Party
7. [Appeal] An Open Letter to Pond’s and All Whitening Products by Renee Juliene M. Karunungan
8. [Blog] Maid abuses and human exploitation: the highest form of dehumanization and barbarism by Jose Mario De Vega
9. [Blog] The Casiguran Marchers, tired and disappointed but not defeated! by Jofti Villena Delizo
10. [Blog] War on War: The House of Common’s Historic Vote and Question of the US impending war on Syria by Jose Mario De Vega
FOR HR VIDEOS
1. [Featured Video] Feminist Flashmob for Women’s Rights -PH TakeBacktheTech
2. [Featured Video] Liwanag Sa Dilim (by Rivermaya) feat the Bilibid Dancing Inmates by Baliklaya
3. [Featured video] March 8, 2013 International Women’s Day by ClydieCandy
4. [Video/Film] BALITOK goes to Nueva Vizcaya
FOR “OFF THE SHELF”
1. [Off the shelf] Mga rekomendasyon ng Komite Laban sa Tortyur ng U.N. para sa Gobyerno ng Pilipinas
2. [Resources] Myths and misconceptions about Filipino Sign Language (FSL) -Philippine Deaf Resource Center
3. [Off the shelf] Dissidente! by Jose Mario De Vega
4. [Off-the-shelf] Children of the Sunshine Industry: Child Labor and Workers’ Condition in Oil Palm Plantations in Caraga-CTUHR
5. [Off-the-shelf] Read less know more Primer on the Anti-Torture Act of 2009 published –CLRD
FOR HR PHOTO
1. [Featured Photos] Igalang ang Karapatan ng mga Katutubong Ati -photos by Bro. Martin Francisco
2. [Featured Photo] Rated PG at PETA Arts Zone: Love Does Not Hurt campaign launch
FOR HR EVENT
1. [Advisory/event] Rally for the recognition of Filipino sign language & Deaf access Nov. 5, 830am. Philcoa to Batasan -PFD
2. [Featured Event] Million people march to Luneta August 26: sa araw ng mga bayani. Protesta ng bayan!!!
3. [Event] Rock for a Fully Abled Nation Concert –Dakila
4. [Event] Protest Rally to stop DepEd Teacher Training on an artificial sign system in the education of Deaf students – Philippine Federation of the Deaf
5. [Event] Love is…Freedom from Violence!- World March of Women – Pilipinas
6. [Event] Forum on Effective Implementation of Republic Act No. 10353: A Collective Endeavor -AFAD, FIND
7. [Event] Rock against political dynasties! -Agaw Trip Komiks at Laya Sining
8. [Event] FIND’s press forum and 27th founding anniversary, 23 Nov 2012
9. [Event/Advisory] National children’s forum -Save the Children
10. [Event] Groups launch Anti Mining Solidarity Week of Actions -ATM
FOR HR CAMPAIGN
1. [Featured Event/Campaign] Million people march to Luneta August 26: sa araw ng mga bayani. Protesta ng bayan!!!
2. [Urgent Appeal] About the killing of family members of a B’laan tribe leader opposed to the entry of SMI in their ancestral domain area -TFDP
3. [Petition] No to cremation of medico-legal cases
4. [Appeal] for ACTION: Warrantless Arrest of Fourteen Farmers and Six other person in Mindanao -TFDP
5. [Campaign/Event] DIGITEL Employees put up a Protest Center in front of the DOLE Office
6. [Appeal] Panawagan para sa kalayaan ni RODELIO “DONDON” LANUZA, OFW on Deathrow, KSA -Barya Mo Buhay Ko
7. [Campaign] “Rights All- You-Can” campaign –UPJC
8. [Campaign] Tao Muna Hindi Mina – TFDP
9. [Campaign] Freedom Ride –Dakila
10. [Featured Site/campaign] Hey Coke! RESPECT workers’ rights! -APL
FOR FEATURED SITE
1. [Featured Site/campaign] Hey Coke! RESPECT workers’ rights! -APL
2. [Featured Site] PIFA FB Group
3. [Featured Site] MD4HR.net
4. [Featured Site] Visual Spectrum by Carlo Dimaano
FOR HR BLOGSITE