[In the news] ‘Bakwits’ from Bukidnon village refuse to leave capitol -MindaNews
MindaNews » ‘Bakwits’ from Bukidnon village refuse to leave capitol.
By Walter I. Balane
April 14, 2012
MALAYBALAY CITY (MindaNews/13 April) – Evacuees from Barangay Dao, San Fernando, Bukidnon have refused to vacate the capitol grounds, saying their presence here is the best way to pressure the government into rendering justice for the killing of their village chief last month.
Vice Gov. Jose Ma. R. Zubiri Jr. on Wednesday asked the evacuees to move to an area near the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples office in Barangay 9, Malaybalay.
At least 20 families have encamped at the capitol grounds to demand justice for barangay captain Jimmy Liguyon, who was killed on March 5 allegedly by Aldy “Butsoy” Salusad, the leader of a paramilitary group.
Zubiri told reporters he asked them to move where it is safe for their children.
Sharon Liguyon, widow of the slain village chief said they cannot accept the offer of the vice governor because that is not what they came here for.
“We asked for the government to arrest those behind the slaying of barangay chair Liguyon,” she told reporters near their tents minutes after Zubiri left.
Leah Tumbalang, secretary-general of the Kaugalingong Sistema Igpasasindog to Lumadnong Ogpaan (Kasilo), one of the groups supporting the evacuees told DXDB Thursday afternoon they were told that the makeshift houses the vice governor ordered built for them will be finished in 10 days.
Read full article @ www.mindanews.com
Human Rights Online Philippines does not hold copyright over these materials. Author/s and original source/s of information are retained including the URL contained within the tagline and byline of the articles, news information, photos etc.
Hi my loved one! I want to say that this post is awesome, great written and come with approximately all significant infos. I’d like to peer extra posts like this.