An overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who is in Saudi death-row today appeals to Coca-cola Company, maker of coca-cola, a carbonated soft drinks, to help raise an amount for the blood money not only for him but also to other overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) on death-row languishing in various jails abroad specifically those in the Middle East where blood money is allowed in order to spare the OFWs from execution, according to Migrante-Middle East, a Filipino migrant rights group. (See below letter of Appeal from Rogelio Don Lanuza sent to M-ME regional coordinator John Leonard Monterona).
Last week, a Coca-cola video project dubbed Where Will Happiness Strike Next: The OFW Project became viral over social networks sites where many viewers ‘made to cry’ after viewing the video project.
The said Coca-cola video depicted three OFWs sad plight who have been away from their families for quite a long time. The cola-maker company gave them a Christmas gift that left the OFWs in tears.
”Many companies, if not all, embrace the principle of corporate social responsibility or CSR which goal is to be responsible for the company’s actions and encourage a positive impact through various initiatives beneficial not only to its employees and stakeholders but also to the larger communities and the public. I note that Coca-cola abides its own CSR as depicted on its video that became viral,” said John Leonard Monterona, Migrante-Middle East (M-ME) regional coordinator.
Monterona added that it would be more meaningful and beneficial if private companies live by the principle and spirit of CSR by launching more pro-OFW CSR initiatives.
“Helping raise an amount for the blood money of OFWs on death row in Saudi Arabia could be one of the many CSR initiatives that private companies such as Coca-Cola could initiate,” Monterona added.
Monterona cited the case of Rogelio ‘Don’ Lanuza, now 37, from Bulacan province, was convicted sometime in 2000 for accidentaly killing of a Saudi national which he claimed was only an act of self defense. Since then, he is incarcerated in Dammam Central Jail, Dammam, eastern region of Saudi Arabia.
Read full article @ migranteme.blogspot.com
- Where Will Happiness Strike Next? Coca-Cola Phils’ The OFW Project (gracingjenny.wordpress.com)
- Coca-Cola Where Will Happiness Strike Next: The OFW Project (w/ English subtitles) (silentpal.wordpress.com)
- Coca Cola Campaign Sends Overseas Workers Home For The Holidays [Video] (psfk.com)
- Coca Cola’s OFW Project: The Advert’s Gone Viral! (greenskyoutside.wordpress.com)
- Sue Me, I’m a Cynic: Coca-Cola’s OFW Video (lishablog.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] MIGRANTE CLAIMS 2 ‘mysterious’ deaths of OFWs reported monthly – INQUIRER.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Coca-Cola Where Will Happiness Strike Next: The OFW Project (ladyinspecs.wordpress.com)
- 5-Star Stocks Poised to Pop: Coca-Cola (fool.com)
- Coca-cola Video for OFW’s (theanythingvanessa.com)