[Blogger] Happy 63! [December 10, 1948] – koihernandez.wordpress.com
Happy 63! [December 10, 1948]
Human rights are “commonly understood as inalienable fundamental rights to which a person is inherently entitled simply because she or he is a human being.”
The idea of human rights, that is the notion that anyone has a set of inviolable rights simply on grounds of being human regardless of legal status, origin or conviction for crimes, emerges as an idea of Humanism in the Early Modern period and becomes a position in the 18th century Age of Enlightenment.
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is a declaration adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on December 10, 1948 at Palais de Chaillot, Paris. The Declaration arose directly from the experience of the Second World War and represents the first global expression of rights to which all human beings are inherently entitled.
The Declaration consists of 30 articles which have been elaborated in subsequent international treaties, regional human rights instruments, national constitutions and laws. The International Bill of Human Rights consists of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and its two Optional Protocols.
In 1966 the General Assembly adopted the two detailed Covenants, which complete the International Bill of Human Rights; and in 1976, after the Covenants had been ratified by a sufficient number of individual nations, the Bill took on the force of international law.
Read full article @ koihernandez.wordpress.com
- Social Movements’ Friend and Foe, From Wall Street to Tahrir Square [Dean’s Corner] (scienceblogs.com)
- Clinton’s Call for Worldwide GLBT Human Rights (timesunion.com)
- 10 Things To Do With Your Kids on Human Rights Day Dec. 10th! (humanrightswarrior.com)
- MINNESOTA, USA: 10 Things To Do With Your Kids On Human Rights Day on Dec. 10th! (worldmomsblog.com)
- City to observe HR Day today (nation.com.pk)
- Petition Targets Human Rights Education (prweb.com)
- Exile fireworks show off Cuba irks Castro govt (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Indigenous Rights Declaration Moves to Human Rights Council (indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com)
- [VIDEO] Hillary Clinton Speaking On Gay Rights Abroad (practikel.com)
- Hillary Clinton’s Historic LGBT Speech in Geneva (sparklincyanide.wordpress.com)