Bente Singko: A Festival of Memories, A Creation of New Stories seeks to mainstream human rights and remind the people of the horrors of Martial Law and take stock of its lessons so that those dark years may never happen again. Bente Singko will use the arts, both visual and literary, as the venue to convey the message to the people. It will be an opportunity for artists who witnessed and even experienced the atrocities of martial law to share their stories and influence the public, especially today’s youth, to always remain vigilant.
A festival of memories
Bente Singko commemorates the downfall of dictatorship by bringing back the memories and stories about heroism of freedom fighters, human rights defenders, activists and revolutionaries during that time. It’s a story telling through the arts.
A creation of new stories
Bente Singko will also encourage expression and interpretation of the new generation about issues that are still present up to now.
The festival will be conducted in 5 schools. This will be instrumental in empowering students through the inputs of various artists. TFDP, having been established during the height of Martial Law, will look back at the struggles of the people, during Martial Law and learn from its lessons.
- Tinamaan ka ng lente– 25 photos of the past, 25 photos of the present
- Berso sa kalsada, tula ng paglaya – 25 literary pieces of the past, 25 literary works of the present
- Bente Singko films showing – 25 video productions about martial law
- Bente Singko at konsiyerto – 25 music artists against martial law
- Martial Law Monument design and slogan making contest – An obelisk that will memorialize our ML experience and our continuous fight against impunity
Festival of Memories:
- Martial Law Photo Exhibit in schools and online posting of materials on events, peoples and places contained in the Museum of Courage and Resistance.
- Bente Singko Film showing: Martial Law videos
Creation of new stories:
- Tinamaan ka ng lente: photo contest
- Berso sa kalsada tula ng paglaya: Poetry writing contest
- Martial Law Monument design and slogan making contest
Bente Singko: A Festival of Memories, A Creation of New Stories-HR week Festival