[Press Release] Women workers chide bishops for celebrating withdrawal of UN funding on family planning – Partido ng Manggagawa
While bishops hail the United Nation’s decision to abandon the country’s family planning plan due to lack of funds, the Department of Health (DOH) notes that Filipinos with HIV has reached more than 7000 and increasing. Partido ng Manggagawa (PM) believes that for these reasons, the more the State and advocates should make certain the passage of the RH bill and so its budget allocation.
“It is unfortunate that the bishops’ reason for rejoicing is also reason for more difficulties for the poor, especially women with unmet family planning needs and dying due to pregnancy and birth complications, and Filipinos with HIV and AIDs. It is callous and insensitive to celebrate at the expense of people needing help,” explained PM Secretary-General Judy Ann Chan-Miranda.
PM chides the bishops for admonishing taxpayers regarding budget allocation for RH-related services. The poor, needing RH services, deserves State support – it is one reason why the State exists in the first place.
“The tax-exempt Catholic Church has no moral ascendancy to meddle on the State’s social spending. Will it share its wealth or pay the bills for the healthcare of poor women?” asked Miranda.
Partido ng Manggagawa
2 September 2011
Contact Person: Judy Ann Miranda
- [Press Release] RH bill, labor protection pushed on International Youth Day (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Labor groups reiterate support for PALEA, PM calls for collective bargaining as win-win solution – Partido ng Manggagawa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines urges government to pursue peace talks | Sun.Star (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Workers hold pre-SONA protest vs. PEZA – Partido ng Manggagawa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Protest caravan presses Hanjin to comply with safety and other labor standards – Partido ng Manggagawa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Gen. Danilo Lim visits hunger strikers at NBP, joins call for release of political prisoners – Partido ng Manggagawa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] Filipino teachers of Prince George unite! – Partido ng Mangagawa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Labor group hopeful of the release of political prisoners as peace talks make headway – Partido ng Manggagawa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Philippine Airlines seeks dialogue with union on spin-off – Inquirer.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Agency workers form union inside Cebu ecozone – Partido ng Manggagawa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
Pingback: [Statement] CHURCH LABOR CONFERENCE Statement of Support to the Struggle of the PALEA and the Filipino Workers | Human Rights Online Philippines