On 01 July 2011, the Working Group for an ASEAN Human Rights Mechanism met with the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights (AICHR) during its Sixth Meeting in Vientiane, Lao PDR to share the results of its activities that support the goals of the AICHR and discuss future engagements with the AICHR. This was the second meeting between the two groups, the first one held in September 2010 in Kuala Lumpur during the Third Meeting of the AICHR.
The Working Group shared that since it last meeting with the AICHR; it has co-organized the following activities, usually together with an ASEAN Member State, which are all in line with the priority program areas identified by the AICHR:
Workshop on Developing National Human Rights Action Plans in ASEAN (12-13 November 2010, Manila)
Informational Programme for the Principal Assistants of the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights (20-27 November 2010, Strasbourg and Berlin)
Workshop on Corporate Social Responsibility within an ASEAN Human Rights Framework (30 November – 01 December 2010, Singapore)
Discussion on the Human Rights Implications of the ASEAN Community Blueprints (22-23 February 2011, Luang Prabang)
During its first meeting with the Working Group, the AICHR shared that part of its plans and directions include the strengthening of the capacity of the AICHR, increasing awareness and discussion of human rights issues in ASEAN, and the preparation of thematic studies on human rights.
The Working Group also shared that it has produced an informational video on ASEAN and human rights, which is being used for awareness-raising.
Aside from this, the Working Group proposed joint activities with the AICHR which include workshops on thematic human rights issues (e.g. corporate social responsibility and human rights, ASEAN Community Blueprints, etc.), consultations on the proposed ASEAN Human Rights Declaration, Curriculum Development for Human Rights Training, and ASEAN Human Rights Discussion Series and a Roadshow on the AICHR. It also shared a suggested framework and elements for the drafting of an ASEAN human rights declaration.
In the end, the AICHR Representatives welcomed the initiatives of the Working Group and agreed to pursue constructive dialogues and coordination with each other’s work plans to be able to have complementary activities.
Read full article @ www.aseanhrmech.org
- [From the web] Protecting human rights of older persons – www.un.org (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Clinton’s tribute – Shestack, rights advocate, dies at 86 (politico.com)
- [In the news] Scout Ranger commander reminds men on human rights laws | Sun.Star (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Political prisoners are victims of state torture – REHAS (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Blogger] Defenders of Human Rights – Life in a Box (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Malacañang meets with supporters and relatives of Political Prisoners on Hunger Strike – www.tfdp.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Blogger] I Blog for Human Rights – anthonygaupo.wordpress.com (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Human Rights News: Human Rights Watch calls on Thailand to set example for ASEAN (thaiintelligentnews.wordpress.com)
- [Blogger] Join the global chorus for the protection of human rights defenders (HRDs) (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Featured Photo] A President bereft of any compassion for human rights victims and human rights – Task Force Detainees of the Philippines (hronlineph.wordpress.com)