[Statement] Joint Statement on the 26th Commemoration of the Enforced Disappearance of Fr. Rudy Romano, CsSR
At around 3:45 PM, a man riding a blue motorcycle was blocked by armed men, shoved into a white Ford Cortina bearing government license plates and taken away. The person would later on fit the description of Fr. Rudy Romano, CsSR.
It was July 11, 1985. He was 44 years old.
Twenty six years later, we still ask the question asked by many on that fateful day, “Where is Fr. Rudy?”.
Perhaps his enforced disappearance was orchestrated by those could not live with his leadership role in the progressive movement or perhaps by those whose interests were threatened by his community organizing and fraternizing with the basic masses – the workers, the farmers, the poor. Perhaps he inspired resistance against the injustices perpetrated by the forces that be. Perhaps his abduction was meant to silence the growing anti-dictatorship sentiments in the province.
These nagging questions persist to this day. What is certain is that despite Fr. Rudy’s sudden disappearance, his personal struggle for social change has taken a collective form and continues to this day.
For every worker who is deprived of his just share in the distribution of wealth, Fr. Rudy is there. For every farmer denied of his dignity by being denied of his right to till his own land, Fr. Rudy is there. For every injustice, Fr. Rudy is there.
His abductors failed to see this bitter-sweet reality – they only snatched away a man. They could not kill the flames of social change and the movement behind it. For truly, Fr. Rudy represented not himself but the many generations, past and continuing, who yearn for a better society.
Fr. Rudy gives face to the faceless one thousand seven hundred ninety one desaperacidos documented since the Marcos dictatorship. His disappearance reminds us that the path to achieving social transformation is not only a lonely one but one that treads along the line of fire.
We identify with the cause of Fr. Rudy.
Today, on 26th year of his disappearance we renew our commitment to the aspirations of Fr. Rudy. Today, we confront impunity by remembering Fr. Rudy and by reliving Fr. Rudy.
We give justice to him by carrying on.
We challenge the present Aquino Administration to solve the one thousand one hundred seventeen cases of disappearances, of people still missing.
We challenge this Government to enact an anti-enforced disappearance law to criminalize enforced disappearance, to show that it has not forgotten the stories of the disappeared.
We honor the desaperacidos by remembering them.
As we remember Fr. Rudy, we remember all those who suffered the same fate, here and elsewhere.
End enforced disappearance!
Enact an anti-disappearance law NOW!
Justice for Fr. Rudy!
Justice for all the disappeared!
Task Force Detainees of the Philippines–Visayas (TFDP-Visayas)
Human Rights Defenders Pilipinas-Cebu (HRDP-Cebu)
Families of Victims of Involuntary Disappearance-Cebu (FIND-Cebu)
Kongreso ng Pagkakaisa ng Maralita ng Lungsod-Cebu (KPML-Cebu)
Freedom from Debt Colaition-Cebu (FDC-Cebu)
Partido Lakas ng Masa-Cebu (PLM-Cebu)
July 11, 2011
- [Blogger] Demanding for Justice – Carpe Diem (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press release] Archdiocese of Cebu to Celebrate Mass for Workers on May 1 – SUGA (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Agency workers form union inside Cebu ecozone – Partido ng Manggagawa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Call Centers in Cebu City (callcentersphil.blogspot.com)
- Trip to Cebu City: Memories Worth Keeping (lynnesampilo.wordpress.com)
- UN to study over 350 cases of disappearances (susanmariepr.blogspot.com)
- Seat Sale Alert: Cebu Pacific Slashes Chinese and Korean Airfares Plus Several Domestic Routes | BLOGGED PHILIPPINES (ideastube.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] ‘Make CSR part of business agenda’ | Sun.Star (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Dy News-july 12,2011 (dongyanfever.wordpress.com)
- Guvs back new paradigm to save Visayas Sea (iloilocapitolnews.wordpress.com)