[Statement] Torture and the Protection of Human Rights Defenders – HRD-Pilipinas
[Every last week of June, the human rights community commemorates the International Day in Support for Victims of Torture. Here is one of the statements released for the said event by HRD-Pilipinas. HRonlinePH]
(A statement of Solidarity on the International Day in Support of Victims of Torture)
June 26, 2011, Philippines
Human Rights Defenders-Pilipinas today joins the global community in commemorating the International Day in Support of Victims of Torture. Our solidarity on this important event comes in the context where human rights defenders in the Philippines and elsewhere are under attack. Peoples organizations are vilified as terrorists and enemies of the state. Their members, supporters and organizers are tagged as communists. Movements are watched; projects and actions are suspected. Human rights defenders are threatened, at risk and under surveillance.
We join the international appeal for the total abortion of the use of torture. We put forward a dream where human rights defenders are sincerely considered partners in the creation and foundation of a worldwide culture of human rights, peace and development; where torture becomes a thing of the past; and, where human rights defenders are protected in the conduct of their duties.
On this significant day, Human Rights Defenders-Pilipinas takes the occasion to remind us all that torture has no place in a civilized society like ours. This is our protocol. This is our challenge. This is an urgent call in a country where torture is unconsciously accepted as the “standard operating procedure” of the security sector. Where, pain is induced without remorse to exact confession; to break victims, their families, friends and organizations; to cow human rights defenders from pursuing works for human rights, peace, justice and development.
A torture-free society is also a society of compassion. It seeks to eliminate cruel, degrading and inhuman conditions. It looks at the circumstance of prisoners and the state of their incarceration. We call for a special attention in the case of Mariano Umbrero, a prisoner of conscience with cancer now in fourth stage. Together with the Task Force Detainees of the Philippines (TFDP) and the rest of the human rights community, we appeal for his immediate pardon or granting of executive clemency on humanitarian grounds. Due to his medical condition, his case needs urgent action; aside from the fact that no one shall be deprived of liberty based on political reasons.
Given our concrete condition today, we call for the reorientation of our institutions in the work for human rights, to include “all” particularly the protection and promotion of the rights of human rights defenders. In a functioning democracy, everybody has a responsibility to anybody; even ordinary citizen. Thus, protection for HRDs is a responsibility of EVERYBODY lest we forget that we live as a community.
For more information, contact: companion
Renato Mabunga, Chairperson, 437-8054, firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Rights Defenders – Pilipinas
#45 St. Mary Street, Cubao, Quezon City
Tel. # (632) 437-8054 Fax: (632) 911-3643
- [Statement] Stop harassing human rights defenders, stop vilifying peoples’ organizations in Central Luzon – HRD-Pilipinas (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Off the shelf] Anti-Torture Act of 2009 Digest by Balay Rehabilitation Center (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Event/Announcement] Human Rights Defenders Tulip 2011- Human Rights Award call for nomination (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Event] Invitation to KINSE human rights films screening – Green Convergence (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] Position paper on the national Monitoring Mechanism (NMM) – PAHRA (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Statement of deep concern by Coalition of Human Rights Defenders in Papua (westpapuamedia.info)
- The Observatory starts with videos on Human Rights Defenders (thoolen.wordpress.com)
- Course on Security and Protection for human rights defenders, on the internet (thoolen.wordpress.com)
- Papuan Human Rights Defender at risk (thoolen.wordpress.com)
- [Poster] The right to be free from torture and ill-treatment by Balay Rehabilitation Center (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Kios partner Regional Conference in Kampala Uganda May 4th-5th 2011 (hakijamii.wordpress.com)