[Announcement] Front Line Defenders is recruiting for the position of Asia Fellow
Front Line Defenders is recruiting for the position of Asia Fellow: https://www.frontlinedefenders.org/en/research-and-admin-fellowship-asia
The selected candidate will work in close coordination with the Protection Coordinators for Asia, and will also provide administrative support to other relevant staff across other programme areas in relation to our work in the region, as required. The fellowship will be for nine months and based in Front Line Defenders’ office in Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland.
The fellowship is designed to provide practical work experience in an international non-governmental organisation to recent graduates seeking a career in human rights. The fellow will learn about Human Rights Defenders; the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders; the mandate of the UN Special Rapporteur; the role of Front Line Defenders and other national and international organisations in the support and protection of human rights defenders; the specific situation and challenges facing human rights defenders in the region and advocacy at the EU level. They will be expected to fulfil administrative tasks as directed and to participate in induction, periodic reviews, weekly team and case meetings, and relevant out-of-hours events.
The successful candidate will be able to draft well and have good analytical skills. They will have some knowledge of the UN system, the EU system and international and human rights law. They will have some knowledge of the UN system and international and human rights law.
They will be able to work on own initiative and as a member of a team. They will have good oral and written communication skills and be computer literate. They will be flexible, have good interpersonal skills, good stress management skills and be cooperative. An ability to multitask and prioritize is a must. Previous work experience with organisations working in the field of human rights is desirable.
Basic terms of reference:
- Provide support to the Protection Coordinators working on Asia, including dealing with queries and correspondence with human rights defenders;
- Input HRD-related information on the Front Line Defenders’ database;
- Undertake research on human rights defenders in countries in the region;
- Compile and draft as requested briefings, country summaries, input to reports, urgent appeals, or other materials;
- Support follow-up on cases taken up by Front Line Defenders;
- Provide administrative support to staff across other programme areas in relation to activities carried out in the region, including in particular in the organisation of and follow-up on trainings;
- Carry out administrative tasks as requested, including the taking of minutes in meetings;
- Work on other specific projects and tasks relating to human rights defenders as requested.
- Provide flexible support to the Rest and Respite programme, including, but not limited to, accompanying human rights defenders to events and translating where relevant.
- Please include your CV and cover letter in the same attachment and title it as “last name_first name”.
Applications should be sent to Ed O’Donovan, Head or Protection, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 3 April 2020. The next Research & Admin Fellowship – Asia will begin on 29 July 2020 for a period of nine months. Unfortunately due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Front Line Defenders is able to provide a contribution to living costs of €1400 per month. Front Line Defenders will reimburse the successful candidate the cost of their flights to and from Dublin. Please note that the cost of living in Dublin is high and that you may need additional funds to sustain your stay in Ireland. Front Line Defenders will assist with the Irish visa application process if relevant.
Front Line Defenders is an Equal Opportunities Employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
In providing protection and support to human rights defenders, Front Line Defenders and its staff, interns and volunteers are committed to:
- focus on the primacy and centrality of defenders;
- demonstrate profound respect and empathy for defenders;
- meet the needs expressed by the defenders in a fast, flexible and relentless manner;
- achieve tangible impact;
- act with independence, impartiality and integrity;
- perform with dedication, professionalism and accountability;
- show transparency and openness;
- develop participative and cooperative relations.
All submissions are republished and redistributed in the same way that it was originally published online and sent to us. We may edit submission in a way that does not alter or change the original material.
Human Rights Online Philippines does not hold copyright over these materials. Author/s and original source/s of information are retained including the URL contained within the tagline and byline of the articles, news information, photos etc.