Commemorate the sacrifice and struggles of martyred environmental and community rights defenders.
Nov 10—the death anniversary of Nigerian environmental activist Ken Saro Wiwa, who with his eight comrades, was killed by hanging by military personnel. They were killed in 1995 because of their sttuggle against Shell and other oil companies in the Niger Delta. Climate justice activits commemmorate Nov 10 as the Global Day of Action Against Oil as part of the Global Month of Action Against Dirty Energy.
Since 2010, we have joined the global commemoration. Here we give tribute to Ken Saro Wiwa, and the lives of Filipino environmentalists and human rights defenders who sacrificed their lives for the mining struggle.
- #WeRememberWeResist -Dr. Gerry Ortega – environmental advocate, broadcast journalist, veterinarian (taomunahindimina.wordpress.com)
- Wish Ken Saro-Wiwa A Happy Birthday (lemixmedia.wordpress.com)
- Slippery justice for victims of oil spills (sierraexpressmedia.com)
- Slippery justice for victims of oil spills (modernghana.com)
- Murder Incorporated: Big Oil Pleads Immunity from Prosecution for Human Rights Crimes (sierraclub.typepad.com)