[In the news] ‘No evidence of 84 HR violations during Aquino admin’ -ABS-CBNnews.com

‘No evidence of 84 HR violations during Aquino admin’

ABS-CBNnews.com
May 13, 2012

MANILA, Philippines – There is no evidence to substantiate 84 alleged human-rights violations (HRV) in the hands of government soldiers starting when President Benigno Aquino III took office, a military spokesman said.

Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Arnulfo Burgos said the military’s Human Rights Office (HRO) created a Board of Inquiry to look into the 84 complaints received earlier by the Commission on Human Rights (CHR).

Not one has been substantiated so far, but the board is still investigating all 84 cases, he said.

“To address these circumstances, the AFP-HRO created a Board of Inquiry which was also replicated down to the battalion levels to conduct investigations that would validate the reports of the CHR,” said Burgos.

“The findings of the [board] revealed that all of the referred HRV cases tagging military personnel were only accusations and did not produce sufficient evidence against AFP soldiers,” added Burgos, citing the initial result of the probe.

Read full article @ www.abs-cbnnews.com

Human Rights Online Philippines does not hold copyright over these materials. Author/s and original source/s of information are retained including the URL contained within the tagline and byline of the articles, news information, photos etc.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.