Task Force Detainees of the Philippines (TFDP), assails Judge Betlee-Ian Barraquias in ordering the transfer of Cocoy Tulawie’s detention to Jolo in defiance of the Supreme Court order. It must be recalled that the Supreme Court third division issued a resolution dated 13 June 2011, dispositive portion states, “that continuing with the trial of the subject criminal cases in the RTC of Jolo, Sulu, can lead to miscarriage of justice”. The court was ordered to transfer the entire records of the case to the Regional Trial Court in Davao City.
The Judge’s action and whimsical is open defiance of the Supreme Court. He should be held accountable and should be charged with conduct unbecoming and for gross ignorance of the law. Cocoy Tulawie’s case only demonstrated how the Judiciary and Executive conspire with each other.
Cocoy Tulawie’s case is not a common crime. He is a human rights defender, who fought for human rights and freedom for the people of Sulu. He has remained committed in his conviction for human rights and democracy amongst the people whose human rights have been violated.
The United Nation recognizes the works of human rights defenders just like Cocoy Tulawie and being a member, the state and it’s agents should uphold the United Nation’s Declaration on Human Rights Defenders. His case must be heard impartially and he should be afforded with due process.
TFDP is calling on the Supreme Court to immediately intervene and investigate the action taken by Judge Barraquias and if found guilty he should be sanctioned in accordance with the law.
RITA M. MELECIO
Deputy Executive Director
Task Force Detainees of the Philippines
# 45 St. Mary St., Cubao, Quezon City
- [Press Release] TFDP calls for fair, impartial and speedy disposition of Mr. Tulawie’s case (hronlineph.com)
- [Urgent Appeal] Arrest of a prominent Muslim human rights defender from Jolo, Sulu – TFDP (hronlineph.com)
- [In the news] Sulu bomb suspect awaits transfer of case – SunStar.com.ph (hronlineph.com)
- [Statement] PHILIPPINES: Temogen Tulawie case – prosecutors uses forced confessions as evidence – AHRC (hronlineph.com)
- Letter to the President of the Republic of the Philippines (renatomabunga.wordpress.com)
- [Urgent Appeal] ARREST OF HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDER FROM JOLO, SULU (renatomabunga.wordpress.com)