[In the news] Missing from Sendong jumps to over 1,000; death toll now at 1,080 – InterAksyon.com

Missing from Sendong jumps to over 1,000; death toll now at 1,080
by Abigail Kwok, InterAksyon.com, with reports from Reuters and Agence France-Presse

MANILA – While the death toll from the flash floods caused by tropical storm “Sendong” continues to increase, the number of missing suddenly jumped to over 1,000, a report from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said.

In its report released Friday, the NDRRMC placed the number of missing at 1,079. Although other agencies and groups have reported varying figures of the missing, the latest NDRRMC number is a sharp jump from its earlier reported missing of only 51.

Authorities earlier said they had lost count of the number of missing after Sendong lashed Mindanao and parts of the Visayas last week.

Most of the missing are reported in Northern Mindanao, particularly in Cagayan de Oro, Bukidnon and Iligan City. In Northern Mindanao alone, the NDRRMC placed the total number of missing persons at 1,054. In Negros Oriental, 18 more persons were still missing.

The total number of deaths from Sendong has also increased and is now at 1,080.

Read full article @ www.interaksyon.com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s