Missing from Sendong jumps to over 1,000; death toll now at 1,080
by Abigail Kwok, InterAksyon.com, with reports from Reuters and Agence France-Presse
MANILA – While the death toll from the flash floods caused by tropical storm “Sendong” continues to increase, the number of missing suddenly jumped to over 1,000, a report from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said.
In its report released Friday, the NDRRMC placed the number of missing at 1,079. Although other agencies and groups have reported varying figures of the missing, the latest NDRRMC number is a sharp jump from its earlier reported missing of only 51.
Most of the missing are reported in Northern Mindanao, particularly in Cagayan de Oro, Bukidnon and Iligan City. In Northern Mindanao alone, the NDRRMC placed the total number of missing persons at 1,054. In Negros Oriental, 18 more persons were still missing.
The total number of deaths from Sendong has also increased and is now at 1,080.
Read full article @ www.interaksyon.com
- Re-focussing “Sendong” with Philippine Leadership (rqjavines.wordpress.com)
- Ways to Help Typhoon Sendong (Tropical Storm Washi) Victims in Mindanao, Philippines (dosomethingworthwhile.wordpress.com)
- Emergency Alert: Typhoon Sendong | Donate Now and Save Lives (silentpal.wordpress.com)
- Typhoon Sendong Set To Be Among The Deadliest Calamities The Philippines Has Experienced In 12 Years [Lawrence Perry] (ecademy.com)
- UN calls for Philippine flood aid (thehimalayantimes.com)
- The Sendong Catastrophe (raymondolivercruz.wordpress.com)
- Please help the victims of Tropical Storm Sendong. (jessfuentes.wordpress.com)