Weekend HR Posts Rundown and Analysis
4 September, 2011
Human Rights Online Philippines features articles, blogs, news information and photos on human rights issues. It provides up-to-date information on human rights activities, events, campaigns, and solidarity actions in the Philippines. It aims not only to put human rights at the center of national discourse through digital media but also to elicit response from the public.
This week has been news and activity-filled information for HR postings.
1. The commemoration of the International Day of the Disappeared has been the focus of attention and interest of the human rights community here and abroad. The IDD (for brevity) annually set on August 30. This year is the first year of its celebration since the United Nations General Assembly adopted it as part of its official calendar. Although the yearly celebration as a tribute to all desaparecidos has been going on for the past 30 years. In solidarity to all the victims of enforced disappearance and their families, HRonlinePH posited statements, press releases, events and other related news in its celebration.
- [Urgent Action] (Philippines) A “Dumagat” tribal member was abducted by unidentified armed persons believed to be affiliated with the military
- [Photo Blog] We have RAGED!
- [In the news] Facebook profile pics go ‘desap’ for Int’l Day of the Disappeared- InterAksyon.com
- [Statement] Statement of the Coalition Against Enforced Disappearance on the Int’l Day of the Disappeared
- [Statement] Pahayag ng FIND para sa Pandaigdigang Araw ng mga Desaparecidos
2. The prevailing impunity for human rights violations is not only evident in the continuing commissions of civil and political rights violations but can also be seen in almost all social issues that have impact to economic, social and cultural rights of the people. HRonlinePH deemed it necessary to post different issues and advocacies that put forward the demand not only for recognition of such rights but also a guarantee for its promotion, protection and fulfillment.
- [From the web] Philippines – Lawmakers air concern over increasing anti-gay hate crimes – http://www.actup.org
- [Event] Join the National Day of Protest! – Freedom from Debt Coalition
- [Letter to the Editor] Reaction to DTI’s opposition to two labor legislation – CTUHR
- [In the news] Bukdinon Lumad farmers decry killing of Higaonon farmer – http://www.mindanews.com
- [From the web] For PAL Workers,an appeal….and for those People who care – by Sarah Bonnin Ocampo
- [In the news] Lacson wants reexamination of ZTE deal – http://www.philstar.com
- [in the news] Youth militants protest oil price hikes in Davao – http://www.sunstar.com.ph
- [In the news] Church asks Pinoys around the world to pray for peace – GMAnews.tv
- [In the news] Slain farmer’s kin seek arrest of 6 suspects – Inquirer.net
- [Press Release] Women workers chide bishops for celebrating withdrawal of UN funding on family planning – Partido ng Manggagawa
- [In the news] PHL economy slows down, posts 3.4% GDP growth in Q2 – GMAnews.tv
- [In the news] Transport groups paralyze Southern Luzon over oil price hikes- InterAksyon.com
- [In the news] CHR probes PMA hazing caught on video | ABS-CBN News | Latest Philippine Headlines, Breaking News, Video, Analysis, Features
- [In the news] Eyewitness wary of Maguindanao cops’ links to Ampatuans – GMAnews.tv
- [In the news] Bayan demands P8-P9 oil price rollback – InterAksyon.com
- [In the news] Palparan aide denies hand in activists’ abduction | ABS-CBN News | Latest Philippine Headlines, Breaking News, Video, Analysis, Features
- [In the news] QC informal settlers resist demolition; negotiations ongoing – Inquirer.net
- [In the news] Miriam: Int’l court has no jurisdiction over Arroyo, Ampatuan cases – GMAnews.tv
3. Enhancing capacity of human rights defenders and organizations is one of the essential components of human rights advocacy work and services in various NGO-government engagements at the national, regional and international level. HRonlinePH deemed it to necessary to post the different capacity building activities that aimed to make HR advocates effective in their advocacy work.
- [Event] Capacity Building for City and Municipal Health Officers on Gathering Evidence and Giving Expert Testimony to Improve Prosecution – MAG
- [Event] Public Forum on Gender and Development (GAD) Budget – http://www.fdc.ph
- [In the news] Archbishop invites media to culture of peace seminar – http://www.mindanews.com
- [Press Release] The Philippines becomes the 117th State Party to the Rome Statute – CICC
- [Press Release] CLRD launched its CARE center at Barangay Bagong Silang in Caloocan
- [In the news] Mine firm ordered to stop operation – http://www.nordis.net
- [Announcement] Partido Lakas ng Masa sa DWAD 1098 Khz AM
- [In the news] Aquino sets ‘National Teachers’ Month’ – InterAksyon.com
- [From the web] Chairman Murad: Negotiation still on – http://www.luwaran.com
- [In the news] Leyte ordinance on persons with disabilities gains support | Sun.Star
- [Press Release] Labor and Human Rights NGO launches book on the Impact of extra-judicial killings on families of victims – CTUHR
- [Press Release] First Filipina-Muslim Zonta International Awardee To Donate Part of Her US $4,000 Prize Money to Empower Muslim Women and Children
- [Statement] Coalition of Persons with Disabilities on the move!
5. In knowing one’s right follows the individual and collective action. HRonlinePH deemed it important to post articles of Bloggers and PEOPLE who speak about human rights through personal experience and expertise.
- [From the web] Freedom of expression and new media – http://www.ohchr.org
- [From the web] The Role of Activists in a Persistently Militarized Democracy – by Fr. Robert Reyes
- [Blogger] Climate Change, Reverse Dutch Disease, and Third World Industrialization – Politics for Breakfast
- [People] Rwanda in the Pacific? – Inquirer.net
- [People] Philippine suspects can be tried by the ICC – Fr. Shay Cullen
- [From the web] Absence of protection thrives for decades – http://www.humanrights.asia
- [Blogger] A Closet situation… by Koi Hernandez
- [From the web] The U.N. Should Document Burma’s Abuses – online.wsj.com
- [Video] Edsa Stories: Eugenia Apostol – Focus on the Global South