[In the news] Miriam: Int’l court has no jurisdiction over Arroyo, Ampatuan cases – GMAnews.tv
Miriam: Int’l court has no jurisdiction over Arroyo, Ampatuan cases
Even if the Philippines has recently become one of its members, the International Criminal Court is not likely to accept any complaint brought before it against former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Sen. Miriam Santiago said Sunday.
And because the ICC is not retroactive, it may not have jurisdiction over the Ampatuan clan, some members of which are implicated in the massacre of 57 people in Maguindanao province two years ago, Santiago also said.
Santiago said the ICC does not have jurisdiction over cases involving graft and corruption, which are at the heart of cases lodged in the Philippines against Arroyo, now a member of Congress representing Pampanga‘s second legislative district.
Read full article @ www.gmanews.tv
- [Press Release] ICC would only exercise jurisdiction over a crime when a country has become a states party – PCICC (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Philippines freezes $23M tied to massacre suspects (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- [Statement] Uphold the rule of law and justice, ratify the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [People] Justice is the Hope of the Afflicted – by Fr. Shay Cullen (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Senate approves ratification of Rome Statute on final reading (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Court of Appeals issues freeze order vs Ampatuan assets – Nation – GMA News Online – Latest Philippine News (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Kin of massacre victims oppose accused transfer – inquirer.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Church sues Gloria Macapagal Arroyo on slays – INQUIRER.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Ex-Philippine president recovering after surgery (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Gloria Arroyo may face plunder over PCSO spy fund (thebloggingpath.com)
Pingback: [Press Release] The Philippines becomes the 117th State Party to the Rome Statute – CICC | Human Rights Online Philippines
Pingback: [In the news] Eyewitness wary of Maguindanao cops’ links to Ampatuans – GMAnews.tv | Human Rights Online Philippines
Pingback: [People] Philippine suspects can be tried by the ICC – Fr. Shay Cullen | Human Rights Online Philippines
Pingback: [In the news] Lacson wants reexamination of ZTE deal – www.philstar.com | Human Rights Online Philippines
Pingback: [In the news] Feared Ampatuan clan outgunned Philippine military—WikiLeaks | Human Rights Online Philippines
Pingback: [in the news] ‘US backed state abuse in Philippines’ -Wikileak | Human Rights Online Philippines