[Announcement] AFAD JOB OPENING (Short Term Project Assistant for August 16 – December 15, 2011)
AFAD JOB OPENING (Short Term Project Assistant for August 16 – December 15, 2011)
Title: Project Assistant
for the Project “A New Initiative for Linking Solidarity in Support
to the Struggle Against Enforced Disappearances”.
Organisation: International Coalition Against Enforced Disappearances (ICAED),
Under supervision of its Steering Committee, particularly its Focal
Person, the AFAD Secretary General and ICAED Focal Person
Duty station: at the Asian Federation Against Involuntary
Disappearances (AFAD), In Quezon City, being the Focal Point
organisation of the ICAED or any other place to be determined
Period: from August to December 2011
Setting and reporting
The ICAED (the International Coalition against Enforced
Disappearances) with support of PSO and IKV Pax Christi intends to
re-launch the programme Linking Solidarity (formerly run from the
Dutch organisation Aim for human rights. A project was approved to
enable this programme to continue its work and preserve its legacy, be
it in a new setting and form. The New Initiative will be more firmly
rooted and owned by the human rights defenders of the countries
affected by enforced disappearances, mainly by the relatives of
disappeared persons and their associations.
This position is located at the Secretariat of the AFAD.
Under the direct supervision of the Secretary General of the Asian
Federation Against Involuntary Disappearances (AFAD), being the Focal
point organisation of the ICAED, the incumbent will:
• Maintain contacts and facilitate the participation of ICAED members
and other key actors in the relevant stages of implementation of the
• Supervise the progress of learning history exercise to be conducted
as an evaluative method for selecting the roles and feature to be
preserved from the activities of the past.
• Prepare and organise a strategic planning workshop for ICAED members
and close stakeholders;
• Contribute to the drafting and editing of reports, programme
proposals , minutes of meetings and other written communications;
• Supervise the use of the project budget;
• Prepare narrative and financial reports to donor organisations;
• Arrange for practical matters related to the establishment of
operational premises for the new initiative;
• Provide assistance to the organisation of Steering Committee meetings;
• Actively contribute to the design of a fundraising strategy; conduct
fundraising meetings with institutional donor organisations;
• Assist in the recruitment process of new staff for a follow-up phase
of the Initiative;
• Organise training activities;
• Contribute, at the request of the ICAED Focal point, to other
lobbying or campaigning activities of the ICAED or of its members;
– Understanding of human rights protection, institutional mandates for
the protection from enforced disappearances;
– Good sensitivity for working with relatives of disappeared persons;
– Ability to deal with politically sensitive matters, be able to
perform duties in a multilingual and multicultural team or
– Experience with fundraising for human rights, humanitarian or
development projects would be considered an asset;
– Self-starter: ability to initiate new initiatives and to run a range
of practical and organisational matters autonomously.
– Excellent communication skills.
– Planning and organization skills.
A University degree in law, political sciences, international
relations or other disciplines related to human rights.
At leas two years of working experience in a position related to
international cooperation or human rights.
Fluent in English. Knowledge of Spanish, Arabic, Russian and/or French
will be considered and asset.
Willingness to undertake intercontinental travel.
How to apply?
Candidates should send in a curriculum vitae and a cover letter
explaining their motivation to apply for the position to Mrs Mary
Aileen Diez-Bacalso .. [ +function, address and email ] before 15
August. Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview and
possibly a written test. For any questions please contact May Aquino
at 4546759 or Aileen at 0917792
MARY AILEEN DIEZ-BACALSO
Asian Federation Against Involuntary Disappearances (AFAD)
Rms. 310-311 Philippine Social Science Center Bldg.,
Commonwealth Ave., Diliman, 1103 Quezon City
- [Statement] Joint Statement of AFAD and FIND On the President Aquino’s 2nd State of the Nation Address 25 July 2011 (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Announcement] Job opening: AFAD Finance Officer (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Announcement] AFAD is looking for Documentation & Research Officer (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Photo Blog] Beyond telling are stories of injustice that fail to disappear (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] Thirteen Years of Struggle: Our Choice, Our Responsibility – AFAD (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Blogger] Demanding for Justice – Carpe Diem (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] Enforced Disappearance is Anti-Life… No to Untold Sufferings…. Sign and Ratify the UN Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance! – AFAD (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Featured blog] AFAD: Evisioning a world without desaparecidos (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] Statement of the Families of Victims of Involuntary Disappearance (FIND) on the 17th Anniversary of the Unveiling of the Flame of Courage Monument (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] Disappeared But Always Remembered (hronlineph.wordpress.com)