We invite you to join us in a Worldwide prayer for all victims of torture
“Prayers for Tatay Umbrero, prayers for all victims of torture.”
June 25, 2011, Saturday
June 26, 2011 is the United Nations International Day in Support of Victims of Torture. The Task Force Detainees of the Philippines (TFDP) will join other human rights organizations around the world in commemorating this event through series of activities that would support all victims and campaign to help end this human rights violation.
In line with this, TFDP together with representative from our international partner ACAT, an ecumenical association founded in France in 1974, will be holding a liturgy on June 25, 2011, Saturday, as part of ACAT’s worldwide call for all Christians to pray for torture victims.
Particularly we are praying for Tatay Mariano Umbrero, a 65 year old political prisoner in New Bilibid Prison (NBP). Tatay Umbrero is suffering stage 4 Lung Cancer and we have been sending our appeals to the government for his immediate release but we have not received favorable response from government agencies that is just and appropriate for his condition.
The event’s title will be “Prayers for Tatay Umbrero, prayers for all victims of torture.”
In this light, we would like to invite you to join us in this liturgy on June 25, 2011, venue and time will be announced as soon as finalized. It will be attended by members of the human rights community including former political prisoners and relatives of victims of political incarceration and torture.
We hope you can join us in this simple but meaningful activity for Tatay Umbrero, all polititical prisoners and victims of torture worldwide.
Thank you very much.
For human rights we remain,
TASK FORCE DETAINEES OF THE PHILIPPINES
- [Press Release] Political Prisoners press for freedom for their ailing comrade after Araw ng Kalayaan (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] TFDP launches “4 O’clock Habit” in Facebook to appeal for the release of an ailing political prisoner (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Rights group urges gov’t to release cancer-stricken political prisoner – Nation – GMA News Online – Latest Philippine News (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Event] 4 o’clock habit campaign: prayer/appeal for Umbrero’s release – www.tfdp.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Rights Group Urges P-Noy to Immediately Release an Ailing Political Prisoner – www.tfdp.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)