[In the news] Reproductive Health bill now has new ally in Senate | Sun.Star
Lacson said President Benigno Aquino III is “on the right track” by supporting the passage of the bill.
Lacson’s statement came after the President said Sunday that he is willing to risk excommunication from the Catholic Church to get the bill passed.
The Church has opposed the bill, saying distributing contraceptives is tantamount to abortion.
In October last year, tension between the bill’s supporters and critics rose after Surigao del Sur Bishop Nereo Odchimar reportedly threatened to excommunicate Aquino if he pushes for the distribution of contraceptives.
Odchimar, president of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines president, denied making the threat, adding excommunication was not “a proximate possibility.”
“Finding ways to curb our monstrous population growth rate is one sensible approach in poverty alleviation. Advocating population management is not being anti-life. In fact, it is pro-country and pro-people,” Lacson said.
Read full article at Sunstar.com.ph
- Christian Churches Back Reproductive Health Bill (ricojr2010.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] UN agency urges universal access to reproductive health | The Philippine Star News Headlines (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- My Recommendation About The Controversial Rh Bill (socyberty.com)
- [In the news] Palace on RH: Democracy gives people a choice | The Philippine Star News Headlines (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Binay position on RH: Neither here nor there – INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Pro-life backers shaped Tory decision to ‘defund’ Planned Parenthood (thestar.com)
- Announces Petition in Opposition to ‘Reproductive Health Law’ (deaconjohnspace.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Ballooning population blamed for hunger | The Philippine Star News Headlines (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- RH not just about family planning (hreplibcis.wordpress.com)