[In Facebook] Save Children’s Lives! Palawan Children Dying of Diarrhea is a form of Child Abuse!- PLM
Increase the Health Budget! Pass the RH Bill Now!
by Partido Lakas ng Masa
Universal Health Care Now! Immediate Increase in the Health Budget! Pass the RH Bill Now!
According to latest reports the death toll in the diarrhea outbreak in Palawan has risen to 23 with the epidemic spreading from Barangay Bataraza to Barangay Panalingaan. Many of those dying are children. That people, mainly children, are dying due to preventable ailments such as diarrhea is an outrage: a surreal back-to-the future scenario, except that it’s very, very, real in 21st century Philippines. The fact is that this is not an isolated incident. According to UNICEF Philippines, the UN organization mandated to work for children’s rights, diarrhea is a leading cause of under-five deaths in the country, responsible for almost 10,000 deaths per year.
“What is even more outrageous is that this situation is allowed to continue”, said Emma Garcia from the Partido Lakas ng Masa Women’s group – PLM-Women. “Children dying like this, from easily preventable causes, is also a form of child abuse. This is also a direct result of the appalling health system in this country, where basic health services are starved of funding, lack adequate government subsidies and are therefore not accessible to the poor. We have one of the most unequal health systems in the region. If countries such as Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia can provide subsidized universal health care, why can’t the Philippine‘s government do the same”.
“We call on the government of President Aquino for action, not mere words and sweet talk. Increase the health care budget now, establish a system of universal health care, and push for the immediate passage of the RH Bill which will save mothers and childrens lives”.
Partido Lakas ng Masa – Women
7 April 2011
- [in Facebook] PLM Supports PALEA’s Planned Strike – Partido Lakas ng Masa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Women, too, want to be heard on RH bill debate – INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- My Recommendation About The Controversial Rh Bill (socyberty.com)
- Christian Churches Back Reproductive Health Bill (ricojr2010.wordpress.com)
- Health-care system needs major surgery: David Dodge (ctv.ca)
- Overpopulation (over)simplified? (pusongcheesecake.wordpress.com)
- April 2, 2011- All these RH Bill makes me feel tired. (dimsumtrader.wordpress.com)
Pingback: [In the news] Ballooning population blamed for hunger | The Philippine Star News Headlines | Human Rights Online Philippines
Pingback: [Statement] Preventable child deaths in Palawan: What happened to the CCT program? – Partido Lakas ng Masa-Women | Human Rights Online Philippines