By Marinel R. Cruz
Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines—After issuing a public apology for the exploitative treatment of a 6-year-old boy in a segment of the “Willing Willie” variety show last March 12, the TV5 television network has announced that it has taken steps to prevent a repeat of the incident.
In a statement released on Wednesday night, TV5 said it had appointed Roberto V. Barreiro, its chief operating officer, and Christine C. Ona, legal counsel, to lead a team that would conduct a “thorough investigation” of the incident.
Government officials, led by Social Welfare Secretary Corazon “Dinky” Soliman, castigated the broadcast station and host Willie Revillame for making the young contestant, Jan-jan Suan, “gyrate distastefully … like a macho dancer” in exchange for money. An amused Revillame gave the boy P10,000, and led the studio audience in cheering him and egging the child to dance some more.
- Revillame treatment of dancing boy in tears criminal – CHR – INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Philippine TV host sorry for 6-yr-old’s sexy dance (ctv.ca)
- Dswd Calls for Censure of Willie for Boy “Macho Dancer” (ricojr2010.wordpress.com)
- Philippine TV show sorry for boy’s sexy dance (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- The 6-Year-Old Boy Forced to ‘Gyrate Like A Macho Dancer In A Gay Bar’ On National Television (queerty.com)
- Stars Blasts Willie on Twitter (ricojr2010.wordpress.com)
- Philippine TV host sorry for 6-yr-old’s sexy dance (foxnews.com)