Workers’ plight worsened in 2012 – KMU
By InterAksyon.com
January 1, 2013
MANILA, Philippines – The plight of the country’s workers worsened in 2012, the labor group Kilusang Mayo Uno said as it slammed the Aquino government for attacking workers’ rights in favor of big capitalists’ profits.
KMU said the government of President Benigno Aquino III intensified attacks on workers’ wages, job security and trade-union rights last year in the following ways:
(1) While allowing prices to increase unabated, Aquino himself rejected calls for a P125 across-the-board wage hike nationwide in his Labor Day speech, claiming that the Philippines has a minimum wage higher than the country’s neighbors.
(2) The Labor Department enforced the Two-Tiered Wage System in almost all of the country’s regions. The scheme’s implementation in Calabarzon saw the imposition of a P255 floor wage, lower than existing wage levels in the sub-region, including the P337 in so-called growth areas.
Read full article @ interaksyon.com
Human Rights Online Philippines does not hold copyright over these materials. Author/s and original source/s of information are retained including the URL contained within the tagline and byline of the articles, news information, photos etc.



![[In the news] Pangasinan town nuke plan faces backlash | INQUIRER.net](https://hronlineph.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/02/screenshot-2026-02-09-143816.png?w=1024)
![[From the web] CHR backs stiffer penalties for hospital detention, urges focus on institutional accountability](https://hronlineph.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/02/627076470_1309237347897513_1019273190179875576_n.jpg?w=1024)
![[Press Release] PAHRA raises alarm over proposed social media registration, flags risks to free expression](https://hronlineph.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/02/fb_img_1770262130079.jpg?w=1024)
![[Featured Article] Can the country avoid a debt implosion? | FDC](https://hronlineph.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/02/625036422_1307584998074871_5515399503396314993_n.jpg?w=1024)
Leave a comment