UN Calls On Philippines to Protect Human Rights Defenders
July 10, 2012
UN Independent Experts Call On Philippines to Protect Human Rights Defenders
New York, Jul 9 2012 – Two United Nations independent experts called on the Government of the Philippines to urgently adopt measures to protect human rights defenders and investigate the increasing number of threats and killings targeting them over the past months.
“A number of cases have been reported to our mandates involving death threats and, in the worst of cases, killings of human rights defenders since the killing of Fr. Fausto Tenorio in Mindanao last year,” the Special Rapporteurs on human rights defenders and extrajudicial killings, Margaret Sekaggya and Christof Heyns, respectively, said in a news release.
Mr. Tenorio was an Italian missionary who was killed on 17 October last year, reportedly for his efforts in helping indigenous people assert their rights to ancestral lands.
In particular, the experts expressed dismay about the case of Francisco Canayong, who was stabbed to death in Salcedo, Eastern Visayas, on 1 May. The authorities had been alerted of death threats against him and other human rights defenders a few weeks before the killing.
Read full article @ www.scoop.co.nz
Human Rights Online Philippines does not hold copyright over these materials. Author/s and original source/s of information are retained including the URL contained within the tagline and byline of the articles, news information, photos etc.



![[In the News] TDC pushes for Teacher Protection Policy, says classroom cases reflect systemic failures](https://hronlineph.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/02/626615265_1333788422116809_5473166200860250801_n.jpg?w=1024)
![[Featured Article] Digital Rights Round-Up (January 1 to 31, 2026) | FMA](https://hronlineph.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/02/fb_img_1769939551986.jpg?w=1024)
![[Press Release] EcoWaste Coalition Tags 10 QC Stores for Selling Banned Cosmetics Contaminated with Mercury](https://hronlineph.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/02/the-ecowaste-coalition-reminds-beauty-product-dealers-that-skin-lighteners-with-mercury-is-prohibited-in-quezon-city.jpeg?w=1024)
![[Featured Article] For years, residents opposed the Atimonan coal plant. It’s greenlit anyway. | Rappler](https://hronlineph.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/02/514.jpg?w=1024)
Leave a comment