𝗥𝗲𝘀𝗽𝗼𝗻𝘀𝗶𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝗠𝗶𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝘀 𝗙𝗔𝗞𝗘 𝗡𝗘𝗪𝗦 | 𝗔 𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸𝗹𝗲𝘁
𝘞𝘩𝘺 𝘪𝘴 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘸𝘴?
- It was a fall-back position after sustainable mining was discredited by environmental groups.
- Responsible mining has no legal definition, no parameters and is not measurable. Best practice is not enough.
- Mining must be done in the context of other Philippine laws. Responsible mining cannot merely be the implementation of the Philippine Mining Act of 1995.
- The current proposed model of responsible mining by the DENR or the Chamber of Mines of the Philippines (CoMP) has never been completed in one single mine in the Philippines.
- It is only possible if given free, prior or informed consent (FPIC) by indigenous peoples or social acceptability by non-indigenous peoples.