Tag Archives: Edwin Lacierda

[Press Release] Labor tells Lacierda to “shut up” on DAP without audit and investigation -BMP

Labor tells Lacierda to “shut up” on DAP without audit and investigation

A LABOR group assailed Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda for clearing Budget Secretary Butch Abad on any wrongdoing in the implementation of his brainchild, the Disbursement Acceleration Program or the DAP, this after Lacierda claimed that the Executive branch’s allotment of 91% of the entire DAP was accounted.

bmplogo

The Supreme Court en banc has decided that the DAP to be partly unconstitutional last week.

“It seems that Lacierda is on automatic deception mode. Whenever there are inquiries to the disbursement of public funds by the Executive branch, he is quick to denying any violations whatsoever without any proof or investigation, said Gie Relova of Bukluran ng Manggagawang Pilipino (BMP).

The Commission on Audit recently found disclosed that there are irregularities in the usage of the 1.1 billion peso DAP budget of the TESDA in 2011. The TESDA is headed by Liberal Party member Joel Villanueva.

He added that, “It is not difficult to conclude that Lacierda may have been given the blanket authority by the President himself to vouch for Abad and other cabinet members. Lacierda’s assurance is all gibberish and a clear waste of taxpayers’ money”.

Abad issued National Budget Circular No. 541 and other issuances, authorizing the use of unused public funds.

The group noted that without any impartial investigation by state agencies or any independent body, the Palace spokespersons have been covering for Abad and President Noynoy Aquino ever since the DAP was first disclosed in a privilege speech of Senator Jinggoy Estrada in September last year.

“May I remind Mr. Lacierda that he is a Presidential spokesperson and he must be prudent enough before releasing irresponsible and leading statements to the public without a formal impartial investigation,” the labor leader warned.

The group also said that with the way the Palace has been mishandling the issue, people have grown wary of the prospects in achieving justice for the wholesale and systematic abuse of power by Executive officials led by Aquino and Abad.

The BMP likewise claimed that besides the gross abuse of the authority, state agencies must also divulge the personalities and companies involved in the DAP-funded “fast-moving projects”.

“In the world of auditing, the devil is in the details. The nation wants to know who Aquino’s cronies are,” Relova said.

He insisted that the public must be informed where the funds were spent and who were awarded and those who benefitted from such projects because, “clearly no amount of Lacierda’s words will be enough to assure the back-breaking work of the tax-paying public.

Contact person:
Gie Relova- 0915-2862555
Secretary-General Bukluran ng Manggagawang Pilipino-NCRR

Press Release
10 July 2014

All submissions are republished and redistributed in the same way that it was originally published online and sent to us. We may edit submission in a way that does not alter or change the original material.

Human Rights Online Philippines does not hold copyright over these materials. Author/s and original source/s of information are retained including the URL contained within the tagline and byline of the articles, news information, photos etc.

[Press Release] Measly wage hike is demeaning and cruel amid rising prices, pork scam—CTUHR

Measly wage hike is demeaning and cruel amid rising prices, pork scam—CTUHR

CTUHR logo

The Center for Trade Union and Human Rights criticized the recent wage adjustment saying the it is “demeaning” and “cruel” to workers especially amid rising prices and the P10- billion-peso scam.

On September 6, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) announced the wage adjustment integrating P15 of Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) to basic pay and adding P10 of COLA. The new basic pay is now at P451.00 while the additional COLA will be effective only on January 2014.

Daisy Arago, Executive Director of CTUHR said, “Such measly amount is demeaning and cruel to workers and the poor as rising prices of basic commodities and utilities in the recent months have already depressed the real value of wages.”

The group further explained that the wage adjustment is negligible as wage levels will remain below half of the family living wage estimated at P1,039.

Arago added that the wage adjustment is both very insulting and cunning, “It is the lowest wage adjustment in NCR in the last decade however, the government is trying to present it as good news by saying the it is the first time that the regional wage board made a unanimous decision over wage hikes.”

“We are even more repelled by the Aquino government’s display of insensitivity by giving Filipinos token wage adjustments amid corruption scandals involving billions of pesos from people’s taxes being pocketed by a few,” Arago pointed out.

Arago also berated a recent statement of Malacañang spokesperson, Edwin Lacierda who belittled the 5-million peso controversy thrown at Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Mar Roxas, “It is extremely appalling that Malacañang is taking 5 million pesos as non-issue when the government is only giving workers 10 pesos in a time when most Filipinos are worried of the rising prices of rice which is now at P42 per kilo.”

In the end, the group challenged the government to support the workers demand for a substantial and legislated wage hike. The group said that a substantial wage hike will provide immediate relief to many Filipinos and a legislated increase will benefit all workers across the country.

NEWS RELEASE
7 September 2013

All submissions are republished and redistributed in the same way that it was originally published online and sent to us. We may edit submission in a way that does not alter or change the original material.

Human Rights Online Philippines does not hold copyright over these materials. Author/s and original source/s of information are retained including the URL contained within the tagline and byline of the articles, news information, photos etc.

[Statement] Labor group urges Napoles to bare all in open court -PM

Labor group urges Napoles to bare all in open court

pmLogo1

Perhaps everyone at this point in time, including politicians in Malacanang, want a share of a limelight from Janet Lim Napoles. So whether she is a real VIP or someone who finds Malacanang as the safest place to surrender had become the subject of wild speculations.

We heard the explanations of Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda on the circumstances behind the graceful end of the August hunt for Napoles. We would leave the Palace do the explaining on this matter.

What is important now is we finally have Napoles. But the people are really not after her body, despite her VIP treatment last night. What we are more interested is how she is going to tell her story about the whole pork barrel racket. Will she bare all? Or will she be just another Jocjoc Bolante, Garci or Lentang Bedol in the making?

Our challenge is for her to bare all and for Malacanang to ensure that she is not coached or censored under custody. People were already suspicious about her VIP surrender. Malacanang cannot afford another blunder if Napoles comes out in tight lips.

One way to erase this suspicion is to hold the Napoles trial in an open court, similar to how the impeachment trial of Renato Corona was conducted.

PRESS STATEMENT
Partido ng Manggagawa
29 August 2013
Contact Renato Magtubo @ 09178532905

All submissions are republished and redistributed in the same way that it was originally published online and sent to us. We may edit submission in a way that does not alter or change the original material.

Human Rights Online Philippines does not hold copyright over these materials. Author/s and original source/s of information are retained including the URL contained within the tagline and byline of the articles, news information, photos etc.