7th HUMAN RIGHTS Pinduteros Choice Awards
With government’s strong pronouncement against human rights, subverting the human rights and fundamental freedoms of human rights defenders (HRDs) and political oppositions is now becoming a norm.
We have received report of online attacks against human rights activists from forces loyal to the government, ranging from abusive comments and emails to death threats – one serious enough to warrant for legal action.
Many human rights organizations even experienced falling victims to Oplan Cyber Tokhang, which main purpose is to “attack” those who are “spreading false information” online by reporting them en masse or what they termed as “mass reporting”, while the second purpose is “special ops” – hacking and social engineering. This “extrajudicial reporting” is most effective way being done when a Facebook account or page is taken down, due to the flooding of reports to Facebook.
Given this social media war, privacy protection and confidentiality of communication online can be a collateral damage. Lest we forget that our right to privacy is a gateway right that affects our ability to exercise almost every other right, not least our freedom to speak and associate with those we choose, make political choices, practice our religious beliefs, effectively do our work, access education, even figure out whom we love, and create our own family life.
Our rights offline are the same with our rights online. We should assert for the applicability of legal norms online.
Human rights defenders need to defend internet freedom by promoting online discourse on human rights and clarifying its ambiguities.
We must reclaim the cyberspace by developing an online culture based on human rights that can challenge stereotyping and hate campaign.
Our stronger online involvement must be translated into aggressive offline action. This will culminate on the celebration of the International Human Rights Day on December 10, 2016.
As our humble contribution to this celebration, the Human Rights Online Philippines (HRonlinePH.com) will hold its 6th Human Rights Pindoteros Choice Awards to honor human rights defenders who despite the continuing threats, intimidation and attacks perpetuated against them continue to assert, uphold and defend human rights for all online and offline.
Since 2011, the HRonlinePH.com has recognized the remarkable work and dedication of human rights defenders in their ability to use the internet to advance their advocacies and to bring human rights into public discourse through social media platforms. As a portal of human rights news and information, HRonlinePh,com has helped human rights organizations and individuals to reach out the public and established linkages between and among different stakeholders.
With the theme, “Wag matakot magpahayag para sa karapatang pantao,” we invite our networks and friends to celebrate human rights with us:
Inform and Share: Raise awareness by sharing information.
Inspire and Link: Create value for humanity by linking our causes for change.
Take Action: Encourage people to act by mobilizing them in a meaningful participation.
It is a call for unity because we are the HRonlinePH.com.
Project KASA KA?
Kampihan sa Karapatan
Project KASA KA? (Kampihan sa Karapatan) is an initiative of Human Rights Online Philippines (HRonlinePH) to facilitate the partnership between NGO/HRDs organizations and the youth through the effective use of social media in online advocacy.
Human Rights organizations have long considered the important role of the new generation in the promotion and protection of human rights. The responsibility for ensuring that the rights of every person is respected all the time will soon fall in the hands of the millennials. However, the present political environment seems to show the diminishing interest of the millennials if not having misconceptions about human rights as they are over-exposed to new ways of receiving and sharing information and messaging through different social, technological and media platforms without any means of verification.
It is therefore vital to determine as much as possible new ways in which the millennials can embrace human rights concepts and principles in looking at the current political affairs and social issues, by developing the best strategic messaging and delivery mechanisms not only to reach them but also to give them the opportunity to take part in the human rights movement in order to educate, persuade and engage them. While there were already efforts to involve the millennials in many social issues that need addressing, from climate change to human rights violations that are already lingering in every one’s doorstep, and yet the millennials have not taken enough action.
It is for this reason that HRonlinePH is trying to bridge these gaps by encouraging the millennials to take action by providing them with a platform or a venue for partnership and cooperation with human rights groups where they can best utilize their creativity and technological savvy in using social media to help human rights organizations develop an effective online advocacy.
“Project KASA KA?” is a shared commitment to making real change possible.
“Project KASA KA?” is a call to action wherein the youth and the human rights organizations can now work together.
“Project KASA KA?” is human rights at work (both online and offline).
Though “Project KASA KA?”, the millennials can help in designing the online human rights campaigns of the selected NGO partners while it is the task of the human rights organizations to educate the millennials on human rights in general and on thematic issues in particular and to develop their commitment and better understanding of their role in the promotion and protection of human rights.
The “Project KASA KA?” aims at:
- Learning together by sharing of knowledge and experience between human rights advocates and youth on the effective use of social media in advocacy campaigns;
- Working for a good purpose by encouraging the youth to get involved to human rights campaigns that will transform them into human rights advocates;
- Unity in action by forging partnership between youth and the selected NGOs that may lead to a long term partnership and cooperation of human rights organizations and the selected schools; and
- Multiplying effects by raising awareness on human rights to reach the greater public especially the millennials and to develop a critical mass for human rights advocacy.
- The HRonlinePH will be the main project proponent which will facilitate, guide and monitor the overall implementation.
- Three (3) human rights organizations/ non-government organizations and three (3) youth/ students groups from three different schools/ colleges/ universities will be invited to participate. If they express willingness to take part in the project after orienting them on the project concept, Terms of Reference (ToR) will be crafted to define their different roles and responsibilities.
- All parties should sign the ToR to ensure delivery of project outputs (online human rights campaigns) and the attainment of the KSK objectives.
- The online campaigns will be implemented for the period of two (2) months (from October to November) in each school of the participating youth group.
- The most effective online campaign will be selected and will be awarded (cash prize and plaque of recognition) during the 7th Human Rights Pinduteros Awards Night on December of this year as part of the commemoration of the International Human Rights Day. The criteria for judging the most effective online campaign are as follows:
- Content and messaging (Clarity and consistency with human rights standards, informative)
- Creativity at Originality (Uniqueness and the ability to inspire action and participation)
- Popularity (Widest audience reach, likes and shares. Public support generated)
At the end of the year, partners will be invited for a participatory evaluation for possible continuity of the partnership
- Orientation Meetings-On Project KASA KA?, Human Rights Orientation, Online Campaign Concepts
- Trainings-On Digital Security, online campaign and communication planning
- Planning Sessions-Crafting of Online Campaign and Communication Plans
- Implementation of Activities-Joint assessment and monitoring
- HRonlinePh’s 7th Human Rights Pinduteros Choice Awards Night
- Participatory Evaluation
HRonlinePH.com maintains its traditional categories of awards as expected by its partners and networks not only to hold on to its tradition for the past six years but also to continue its promotional approach.
7th HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE AWARDS for
- HR Pinduteros Choice for HR NETWORK‘S POSTS
- HR Pinduteros Choice for RIGHT-UP
- HR Pinduteros Choice for HR WEBSITE
- HR Pinduteros Choice for HR EVENT
- HR Pinduteros Choice for HR PHOTO
- HR Pinduteros Choice for HR VIDEOS
- HR Pinduteros Choice for FEATURED OFF THE SHELF/RESOURCES
- HR Pinduteros Choice for MOST CLICKED FEATURED SITE
Nominees for the traditional categories will be chosen from the list of most clicked items per category posted on the HRonlinePH.com site based on the number of hits generated provided by wordpress.com statistics from the period of November 2016 to November 2017.
Final tally of scores of winning posts are based on the combined online voting/polling results which will be held from the period of November 15, 2017 to November 25, 2017 at the HRonlinePH.com Facebook Page and website.
All winners will be announced and awarded on 7th HR PINDUTEROS CHOICE AWARDS December 1, 2017, during the FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION CONFERENCE (FREEXP.CON), venue to be announced.
Human Rights Online Philippines…
Promotion and Protection of Human Rights in the Philippines through Information Resources Online