ICC likely to come after Duterte despite PH split – lawyer
The International Criminal Court is likely to continue investigating President Rodrigo Duterte for alleged crimes against humanity even after the Philippines’ withdrawal from the tribunal takes effect a week from now, a rights lawyer said Sunday.
The Hague-based ICC launched last year a preliminary examination into Duterte’s supposed role in the alleged death squad killings in Davao City, where he ruled as mayor for over 2 decades. He is facing a separate complaint before the court over his anti-narcotics drive that has killed thousands.
The cases prompted Duterte in May 2018 to withdraw the Philippines from the Rome Statute, which created the ICC. Manila’s split from ICC takes effect next Sunday.
“There is a large possibility that the President of the Philippines… and other officials behind the drug war killings may still be investigated by the ICC prosecutors even after March 17,” said lawyer Ruben Carranza, reparative justice director at the International Center for Transitional Justice.
“There are precedents where even after the withdrawal of a state from the ICC, a case that was investigated by the prosecutors continued,” he told ANC.
Read full article @news.abs-cbn.com
Submit your contribution online through HRonlinePH@
Include your full name, e-mail address and contact number.
All submissions are republished and redistributed in the same way that it was originally published online and sent to us. We may edit submission in a way that does not alter or change the original material.
Human Rights Online Philippines does not hold copyright over these materials. Author/s and original source/s of information are retained including the URL contained within the tagline and byline of the articles, news information, photos etc.