[Press Release] Suspension of pork must lead to its abolition -Akbayan
“We welcome President Aquino‘s decision to suspend the release of the pork barrel to lawmakers until the probe on the pork barrel scam is completed. This decision effectively abolishes the pork barrel since any effort to restore it will meet massive public opposition,” according to Akbayan Rep. Walden Bello.
“The decision also serve as a strong disincentive to many rascals who are entertaining running for Congress. We hope that suspension of the pork will not be a substitute for punishing those senators and congressmen who were Napoles‘ accomplices. They must go to jail,” Bello said.
However, Bello reminded the President that the suspension of the release of the pork barrel must lead to its complete phase-out.
“Suspension must lead to abolition. While the President has already categorically stated that he is not in favor of abolishing the pork barrel, we will not relent in persuading him to drop the pork. President Aquino must go further and scrap the PDAF completely,” Bello said.
Human Rights Online Philippines does not hold copyright over these materials. Author/s and original source/s of information are retained including the URL contained within the tagline and byline of the articles, news information, photos etc.
- People mad at Aquino for not abolishing pork (opinion.inquirer.net)
- Akbayan asks Aquino to scrap pork barrel (rappler.com)
- Aquino challenged to show political will, scrap pork barrel (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Aquino rejects abolition of pork barrel anew (rappler.com)
- UP professors denounce the pork barrel system (bulatlat.com)