Power rate increases to hit women the hardest, group says
By Jonathan de Santos
The Freedom from Debt Coalition (FDC) Women’s Committee picketed the ERC office in Pasig City Tuesday to urge the regulatory body to turn down petitions from the Power Sector Assets and Liabilities Management Corp. (Paslm) and the National Power Corp. (Napocor) to raise rates by around P0.40 per killowat-hour (kwh) to cover debt payments and contract costs.
Have something to report? Tell us in text, photos or videos.
Judy Ann Chan-Miranda of the FDC Women’s Committee said the ERC should shoot down the “anti-women” and “anti-poor” proposed rate increases.
“High power rates mean women taking on even more work to pay for electricity and have something left for other essentials. It means cutting the budget for food, medicines and healthcare, the education of children. It means having little choice but borrow from loan sharks to avoid disconnection,” she said in a press statement.
Read full article @ www.sunstar.com.ph
- [Press Release] Junk Napocor, Psalm petition to increase universal charge, FDC urged ERC (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Congress urged to suspend P8-B payment for ‘illegitimate’ debts – www.gmanews.tv (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Must use coal, for now: President Benigno Aquino III | Sun.Star (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] 2 trafficking victims rescued in Zamboanga City | Sun.Star (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- New laws to rein in loan sharks (theage.com.au)
- Is personal debt on the decline? (cleardebt.co.uk)
- Updates from the Field: Loan Sharks, Snapshots + “the Country with a Smile” (fellowsblog.kiva.org)
- 10 Most Powerful Women In Media (huffingtonpost.com)
- Who Really has more Sexual Power? Men or Women? (collegerelationships.wordpress.com)
- What does it mean to be a woman? A response (cocoonmoon.wordpress.com)