We are very sorry for two weeks without providing you, our valuable READERS and SUBSCRIBERS with our regular HR Posts Rundown and Analysis. This was because the past couple of weeks were typified by fast-paced news and events that HR online deemed it important to see how the situation would develop first before coming up with a sound and objective analysis.
With the unfolding of HR situation, HR online presents to you our Weekend HR Posts Rundown and Analysis for the past weeks.
The Hunger Strike of the Political Prisoners that lasted for almost a month remains to be the central focus of public interest for the past two weeks. HR online did not only provide a space to disseminate information on the plight of the political prisoners in the country but more so to make available a venue to generate public support through the postings of various statements, activities and events.
- [Press Release] DOJ to reconstitute PCBREP to review the release of political prisoners – http://www.tfdp.net
- [Press Release] Gen. Danilo Lim visits hunger strikers at NBP, joins call for release of political prisoners – Partido ng Manggagawa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Health of political prisoners in NBP deteriorating as they approach the 12th day of their hunger strike (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Bishops urge Aquino to release striking political prisoners- Inquirer.net(hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] “Proclaim liberty to the captives… Set free the Oppressed” – CBCP-NASSA (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [From the web] Ninoy Aquino was a political detainee
- [Blogger] Ninoy Aquino is still in Jail by prisonersphilippines.wordpress.com(hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Rights Groups to Cory’s son: Release all political prisoners in memory of your mother’s legacy (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Blogger] A Desaparecido to a Political Prisoner by anakngdesaparecidos.wordpress.com (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
Human rights violations continue to happen despite government’s claim of putting in place substantive and institutional mechanisms aimed at addressing these social maladies. HR online deemed it necessary to post recent cases of human rights violations that show a clear disjoint between the existing policy of the government and still the ongoing practice by or among the security sectors.
- [Urgent Action] Torture of Abdul-Khan Balinting Ajid – http://www.tfdp.net
- [Statement] Human Rights group condemns, urges government to probe tortures in Basilan, Sulu – MATA (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Urgent Action] torture of a minor a 17 year old college student in Basilan, Mindanao – http://www.tfdp.net
- [Urgent Action] A farmer was killed and his son was seriously wounded as a result of an alleged strafing by members of the Philippine Army (PA)- http://www.tfdp.net
We believe that one of the glaring factors for prevailing impunity in the continuing human rights violations is the lack of established standards and mechanisms for better protection. We deemed it necessary to post different advocacies that demand not only for a recognition of these rights but also a guarantee for its promotion, protection and fulfillment.
- [Press Release] ICC would only exercise jurisdiction over a crime when a country has become a states party – PCICC
- [Statement] Uphold the rule of law and justice, ratify the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] Statement on the proposed amendments to Republic Act 9344 – CLAN(hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Petition] Support the enactment of the Anti-Enforced or Involuntary Disappearance Act – FIND
- [In the news] No FOI bill in today’s LEDAC – http://www.philstar.com
- [In the news] Cayetano wants FOI passage fast-tracked – InterAksyon.com
- [Press Release] Green Groups Denounce Death Threats against Zero Waste Advocates – EcoWaste Coalition
- [Press Release] PNoy denies PALEA appeal, allows PAL to retrench despite huge profit; PALEA slams PNoy fire-all-you-can policy (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
The controversy over the “KULO” exhibit in the CCP sparked an ongoing debate on the right for freedom of expression vis-à-vis to the respect of religion. HR online deemed it necessary to post a balance opinion where a thin line divides human rights advocacy and individual responsibility.
Posted and related articles
- [Statement] Beyond the Artist and the Art – DAKILA
- I’m all for freedom of expression, but there’s such a thing as abuse of that freedom(derdo.wordpress.com)
- With All Due Respect (eyes2cross.wordpress.com)
- Where Art Thou? (drippingmind.wordpress.com)
- Controversial Art Exhibit Is Shut Down in the Philippines (nytimes.com)
- Philippines shuts art show deemed offensive (foxnews.com)
- Philippines’ Jesus penis exhibit closed (1minionsopinion.wordpress.com)
- Art exhibit draws ire of Philippine Catholics (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Art Exhibit Draws Ire of Philippine Catholics (abcnews.go.com)
- Art exhibit draws ire of Philippine Catholics (sfgate.com)
- Fury at Philippine ‘phallic’ art (bbc.co.uk)
Human rights work requires capacity building of human rights defenders in its engagement at the national, regional and international level. HR online deemed it to necessary to post the different capacity building activities that aimed to make HR advocates effective in their advocacy and lobby efforts.
- [Event] The National Training on ASEAN Human Rights Mechanism (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Event] “Sierra Madre sa Tuwid na Daan” A Study Conference on the Faith-based Perspective & the Current Ecological Situation in the Philippines – Save Sierra Madre Network
Not all is bad in the human rights fronts. HR online deemed it necessary to post positive development as a product of long drawn struggle for human rights.
- [From the web] Working Group Meets with the AICHR; Discusses Engagements and Activities – http://www.aseanhrmech.org
- [In the news] Philippine Airlines seeks dialogue with union on spin-off – Inquirer.net
- [From the web] ASIA: Asian Alliance Against Torture and Ill-treatment launched http://www.humanrights.asia
- [From the web] Protecting human rights of older persons – http://www.un.org
Defending one’s rights starts by knowing it. We deemed it important to post the opinion and literary works of our Bloggers and PEOPLE who make human rights not only a very interesting topic of discussion but also a subject of entertainment.
- [Blogger] If you were the President of the Republic of the Philippines, how would you protect the Filipino Human Rights Defenders (HRDs)? (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [People] TALKING POINTS on HUMAN RIGHTS SITUATIONER 2011 – By Dr. Renato Mabunga
- [Blogger] I Blog for Human Rights – anthonygaupo.wordpress.com
- [Blogger] Hustisiyang atrasado, hustisiyang pinagkait; Hustisiyang pinagkait ay buhay na pinagkait
- [Blogger] Defenders of Human Rights – Life in a Box
- [Literary/Tula] “BALABAL NG KALAYAAN” – Noel C. Evangelista
- [Video] The Edsa Stories: June Keithley – focusweb.org