The labor group Partido ng Manggagawa (PM) is hopeful the release of political prisoners can be made possible as conditions for the resumption of peace negotiations with the country’s rebel groups get a boost from the Tokyo meeting between President Benigno S. Aquino III and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).
Miranda said political prisoners should be considered by the government as “beneficiaries” of peace even prior to the conclusion of final peace agreements with the revolutionary movements.
“In fact an act of magnanimity can be extended by the government to political prisoners even without the peace talks as many of them have already served their full sentences from many years of detention,” argued Miranda, citing the case of Juanito Itaas who had been serving prison terms since 1989.
There are still more than 300 political prisoners languishing in different jails all over the country according to human rights groups. All of them were accused of having links with either the communist or separatist movements but were held for as common criminals.
Political prisoners at the National Bilibid Prison went on hunger strike since President Aquino’s State of the Nation Address (SONA) to appeal for their immediate and unconditional release. After the dialogue with human rights groups and DOJ officials last week, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima ordered prison officials to look into the conditions of the hunger strikers.
Partido ng Manggagawa
08 August 2011
Contact: Judy Ann Miranda
- [Press Release] Labor group to P-Noy: Do a Cory, free all political prisoners- Partido ng Manggagawa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Health of political prisoners in NBP deteriorating as they approach the 12th day of their hunger strike (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Labor group to PNoy: Extend clemency to all PP’s, but please don’t be late next time – Partido ng Manggagawa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Rights Groups to Cory’s son: Release all political prisoners in memory of your mother’s legacy (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Petition] Support the Political Prisoners’ Hunger Strike for Freedom and Human Rights! Sign Petition NOW! (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Rights groups stage solidarity fast for political prisoners’ hunger strike (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Rights group dismayed over PNoy’s late clemency on Umbrero – www.tfdp.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Event] A Solidarity Fasting for Freedom and Human Rights (on the 4th day of Political Prisoners’ Hunger Strike) (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Blogger] Ninoy Aquino is still in Jail by prisonersphilippines.wordpress.com (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Urgent Appeal] Political prisoners and detainees escalate their protest action from fasting to hunger strike – www.tfdp.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)