Human Rights Online Philippines features articles, blogs, news information and photos on human rights issues. It provides up-to-date information on human rights activities, events, campaigns, and solidarity actions in the Philippines. It aims not only to put human rights at the center of national discourse through digital media but also to elicit response from the public.
This week has been news and activity-filled information for HR postings.
The escalation of the indefinite fasting into full blown hunger strike of the political prisoners in detention centers nationwide is now beating the spotlight of Pnoy’s 2nd SONA. The inaction of the current government on the plight of the political prisoners in the country triggered by the late issuance of clemency to a demised political prisoner, Mariano Umbrero is now the subject of different views, opinions, statements and events made within the week. In support of the campaign to free all political prisoners, HR online Philippines deemed it necessary to post relevant articles concerning this saddening news.
- [Press Release] Rights group dismayed over PNoy’s late clemency on Umbrero – www.tfdp.net
- [Press Release] Labor group to PNoy: Extend clemency to all PP’s, but please don’t be late next time – Partido ng Manggagawa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Rights groups stage solidarity fast for political prisoners’ hunger strike (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Blogger] Ninoy Aquino is still in Jail by prisonersphilippines.wordpress.com (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Political prisoners escalate their fasting to HUNGER STRIKE for freedom and human rights – www.tfdp.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- The much anticipated PNoy’s second SONA turned into a big disappointment for human rights groups. As sequel of his fist SONA, it was still largely focused on his personal crusade to get rid of “wangwang” and devoid of clear human rights policies and programs except the promise of compensation for Martial law victims. HR online Philippines deemed it necessary to post relevant articles, statements and events that provided assessment and evaluation on PNoy’s 2nd SONA speech.
- [Blogger] PNoy’s 2nd SONA, So what’s new? – Carpe Diem
- [Press Release] International Rights Group says: P-NOY must step up efforts to free our country from human rights abuse and injustice – Amenesty International (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- P-Noy’s “matuwid na daan” is for the few (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Event/Reactions] Indigenous women on PNoy’s SONA (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] Joint Statement of AFAD and FIND On the President Aquino’s 2nd State of the Nation Address 25 July 2011(afadsecretariat.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] IP women to PNoy; Bagsak (FAILED) – LRC-KSK-FOE (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] PNoy miserably failed. Life for workers and the poor gone worse – CTUHR (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- The human rights situation is anchored on real life story of people. HR online Philippines deemed it necessary to post relevant articles that gave face to human rights violations.
- [Featured Story] Political Prisoner Longs for Freedom, The Story of Juanito Itaas – www.tfdp.net
- [Urgent Action] A farmer was killed and his son was seriously wounded as a result of an alleged strafing by members of the Philippine Army (PA)- www.tfdp.net
- Defending human rights and defending the defenders are already an established international norms and standards. HR online Philippines deemed it necessary to post the international guidelines for the protection of human rights defenders.
- Not all is bad in the human rights fronts. HR online Philippines deemed it necessary to post good news and updates in effort to further promote and protect human rights in the country.