A news release on the DFA website quoted Garcia as saying the Philippines “looked forward to working closely with all members and relevant stakeholders of the Council.”
The Philippines had received 183 votes in elections held in the UN General Assembly in May 2011 to re-enter the UN human rights body.
It previously served as a founding member of the UNHRC from 2006 to 2010.
Garcia reported on Philippine initiatives at the recently concluded 17th session of the Human Rights Council. Among the items covered in the report are:
1. The HRC adopted by consensus the Philippines and Germany’s resolution on combating trafficking in persons, especially women and children, which strengthens the mandate of the UN Special Rapporteur on trafficking in persons.
At least 87 countries, including the United States, the European Union, and Japan co-sponsored the resolution.
2. The Philippines teamed up with Bangladesh to issue a landmark joint statement on the negative impacts of climate change on human rights, particularly on peoples living in developing countries and small island states.
The statement called on the HRC and the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) to give more attention to the implications of climate change on human rights.
Read full article @ GMAnews.tv
The Asian Forum on Human Rights or otherwise known as Forum-Asia, a human rights defenders solidarity organizations of National Human Rights Organizations in Asia released their statement and reaction on the vagueness of UN HRC election process. Please read here.
- [In the news] People’s orgs give PNoy a ’4′ in economy, rights – Interaksyon.com (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Human rights group blasts PNoy’s ‘weak’ policy – www.thepoc.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Aquino receives failing mark from rights advocates | Sun.Star (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] PHL-MILF peace talks get new Malaysian facilitator – Nation – GMA News Online – Latest Philippine News (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Rights group appraises P-Noy’s 1 year as weak on Human Rights – www.tfdp.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [From the web] 4th Year of Jonas’ Abduction -freejonasburgosmovement.blogspot.com (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] CHR ‘practically clears’ AFP of torturing Melissa Roxas – Bayan – Nation – GMA News Online – Latest Philippine News (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] PAL union to appeal Palace ruling Tuesday – Nation – GMA News Online – Latest Philippine News (hronlineph.wordpress.com)