By Kathrina Alvarez and Virgil B. Lopez
Karapatan is an alliance of individuals, groups and organization working for the promotion and protection of human rights in the Philippines.
The militant group said 48 persons have been victims of extrajudicial killings, 81 were illegally arrested and detained, and over 8,000 persons claimed they have been subjected to threat and intimidation by the military and police.
Clamor said the figures gave a preview of more rights violations to be committed under President Aquino, unless he addresses the root causes of insurgency such as poverty and bringing violators to justice.
Read full article @ Sunstar.com.ph
Lack of P-Noy’s explicit policy on human rights opens doors for violations on the ground.
- [In the news] Must use coal, for now: President Benigno Aquino III | Sun.Star (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Cops, military are top perpetrators of torture: human rights’ group | Sun.Star (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Anti-poverty group calls on President Benigno Aquino to invest in social services and sign UN treaty to end poverty (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Photo Blog] KALAYAAN from Torture – BRAT V (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Aquino yet to decide on Marcos burial | Sun.Star (hronlineph.wordpress.com)