The activity was spearheaded by the Commission on Population and some non-government organizations.
Iloilo first district Representative Janette L. Garin, one of the authors of the bill, said consolidated substitute bill 4244 comes from six House bills authored by Lower House legislators known as “An Act providing for a comprehensive policy on responsible parenthood, reproductive health and population and development and for other purposes.”
The House committee on population and family relations chaired by Biliran Representative Rogelio Espina has accepted the substitute bill referred by HB 96 introduced by Albay Representative Edcel Lagman, HB 101 of Garin, HB 513 of Akbayan Representatives Arlene Bag-ao and Walden Bello, HB 1520 of Iloilo second district Representative August Syjuco, and HB 3387 introduced by Gabriela Women’s Party Representatives Ilagan and Emmi De Jesus.
The CBCP has since denied the threats, saying it may have been just an opinion of some bishops and not a stand of the CBCP in general.
Garin also said her group is amenable to the idea of comprehensive discussions of the RH issue, and welcomes the participation of all pro and anti-RH individuals in one forum.
Hopefully, the consolidated House bill will have its day in Congress and be passed before the end of 2011, she said. (Lydia C. Pendon)
- [In the news] Fr. Joaquin Bernas writes ‘talking points’ on RH Bill | Sun.Star (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Women workers are caring mothers not terrorists – Partido ng Manggagawa (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Reproductive Health proponents laud Iglesia ni Cristo support | Sun.Star (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Don’t downplay debate on RH bill, Palace tells Catholic hierarchy – Interaksyon.com (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Reproductive Health bill now has new ally in Senate | Sun.Star (hronlineph.wordpress.com)