Ria Rose Uro, special to InterAksyon.com
TILIGAN CITY, Philippines – The government has agreed to submit a draft political settlement with Moro rebels within two months.
In a joint statement issued from Kuala Lumpur, peace negotiators of the government and Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) said the government’s counter-proposal will be submitted during their next meeting on June 27 to 28, 2011.
The 21st exploratory talks between the parties concluded Thursday “with the Parties tackling important issues paving the way for the discussions of the Comprehensive Compact.”
During the two-day talks facilitated by Malaysia, government negotiators quizzed the MILF panel about the substance of the rebel group’s proposed comprehensive compact.
The comprehensive compact is expected to embody measures that address the roots of the Bangsamoro problem in Mindanao.
The questioning by the government negotiators was aimed “to clarify concepts, meanings and intent on some of its provisions,” the joint statement said.
The MILF’s draft peace pact was submitted by the rebel negotiators for consideration by the government panel during their February meeting.
Protestant pastor Reu Montecillo, chair of the nongovernmental peace group Mindanao Peoples Caucus (MPC), said government’s commitment to draft its counter-proposal will surely hasten the peace process.
Peace groups have been urging the panels to stick to a commonly acknowledged workable timeframe of 12 months to seal a peace pact.
Read full article @ Interaksyon.com
- [In the news] Former war-torn Lanao town forges on toward peace, tolerance – Interaksyon.com (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Activists: Gov’t using CCT to dissuade folk from joining progressive groups – Interaksyon.com (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press release] Government Negotiator Marvic Leonen Welcomes MILF Peace Panel Dialogues with non-Moro Civil Society; Hopes that the Discourse Will Reach Manila - (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] PHL-MILF peace talks get new Malaysian facilitator – Nation – GMA News Online – Latest Philippine News (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Challenges Ahead in the Philippine Government’s Conflict Management of Moro and Communist Insurgents (jedayang.wordpress.com)
- Filipino gov’t, rebels aim for 2012 peace deal (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Philippine Muslim rebels hope for peace deal in a year (reuters.com)
- The Price of Peace (myblog14all.wordpress.com)